Settings column in patch by fixture

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
gooze

Settings column in patch by fixture

Post by gooze » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:48 pm

The settings column in patch by fixture should act the same as in patch by output. Settings and profiles are applied to all patched output.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Re: Settings column in patch by fixture

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 pm

..or at the very least, a helpful dialogue that says "You should change OUTPUT settings using the PATCH BY OUTPUT page. Change screen to Patch by Output? Yes/Not Now"
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

gooze

Post by gooze » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:08 am

I I don't want to think about what to do in which screen. If there is a settings column in both screens it should act the same. (otherwise it should be renamed in one of them to make it clear it is something else)
I can see many advantages in applying settings on a fixture instead of the outputs. Sometimes it is much quicker to do it that way.

There might be one difference though between settings in patch by fixture or patch by output. For me settings in patch by fixture could be attached to the fixture whatever you might patch to it (so even if you unpatch the fixture and repatch a different output on the next day, it keeps that setting (profile, proportional, min., max, etc.), whereas settings in patch by output should return to their default values if the output is unpatched.
This last thing is extremely useful for touring companies, but might not be for theatres, because they have the same things attached to their outputs all the time, but nevertheless it could be a nice option.

An exception are moving lights off course, where settings cannot be applied to their individual attributes in patch by fixture because they are not visible. The solution could be to make them visible somehow.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:17 am

gooze wrote:The solution could be to make them visible somehow.
...like a little + sign that expands the attributes. I like it.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd