Effect indicator in cue action

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
shade4

Effect indicator in cue action

Post by shade4 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am

The effect icon in the cue action box could be more helpful. Yes it shows that an effect starts in that cue but just as often I want to know what cue stops an effect.

How about the currect icon for an effect starting, and a red icon for an effect stopping?

Also, in an ideal world it would be possible to click on the effect icon and be able to perform action/s on that effect/effects.
Scott Snowden - Lighting Programmer - Melbourne, Australia

"That's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Effect indicator in cue action

Post by RobertBell » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:25 pm

The issue is that we're not sure where the FX stops. For instance, if you start a marquee fx on fixtures 1 thru 10 in cue 1; it tracks in cue 2 thru 3, but in cue 4, fixtures 2 + 5 + 9 go to 50%. The FX does not stop there. As you GO into cues 5,6,7... the FX is still tracking on fixtures 1,3,4,6,7,8 and 10. Not until you set new levels for those fixtues will the FX die. If you are not, you should have the RUNNING EFFECTS window open in the DISPLAY menu. If you right click on any effect there, you have options to perform on the effect.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:59 am

And how about the colour orange when an effect has changed .... (in that ideal world of Scott).

In Roberts example, if you work in cue to cue, you are talking about 2 different effects. In that case you do know where an effect starts and where it stops. So I do like Scotts suggestion (especially the part that clicking on it opens a box wher you can change the effetc) .

Bastiaan

shade4

Post by shade4 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:16 am

Interesting Robert, I hadn't considered the scenario you've illustrated. And yes my effects programming was a much happier experience once I turned on the Running Effects view!

Another symptom of my original point is that (and correct me if I'm wrong) there is presently no way to tell when effects stop, except by running the cues live. I would really like to be able to see that.

Even just having an icon that indicates an effect is running in the cue would be a help, say a grey-ed out icon to indicate that an effect is tracking through that cue. See the attached examples - All you know from the existing display is that effects start in cues 44.2, 45 and 47.
current fx cues.jpg
Existing cue/effect display
current fx cues.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 848 times

However from my made-up world example you can now tell that the effect from cue 44.2 tracks through cue 44.4, all effects stop in cue 46, and the effect in cue 47 only runs in 47 and stops in cue 48.
new fx cues.jpg
Scott's world display
new fx cues.jpg (53.85 KiB) Viewed 848 times

As for being able to click on the icon it just seems to be in the spirit of a GUI to be able to do it that way, and potentially would allow some level of blind control of effects.
Scott Snowden - Lighting Programmer - Melbourne, Australia

"That's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:07 pm

Robert is right this is a very complicated situation - Effects are typically "stopped" by delta-ing the channels in the effect. This is something the console could track. However, it is possible to have effects that run for a set number of cycles or set amount of time. The console would have no way of knowing where in the cue list this is going to end.

Another similar issue is "tagging" the channels that are "effected" in Blind. Again tricky for any cue except the cue with the effect actually recorded in it. Even with that limitation the feature would be quite helpful.

I do love the idea of clicking the wand icon as yet another easy way to invoke the not-yet-developed effect parameter editor. Visualize a grid/speadsheet of parameters, maybe eventually a formula block or a path editor(sorry to invoke GrandMA ideas again :) ). It could include a list of cues/looks where the effect is used. It might become very easy to copy parameters from effect to effect...

It is good to dream...

Taine