3 things I hate about you (classic Pallette)

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
HerrickGoldman

3 things I hate about you (classic Pallette)

Post by HerrickGoldman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:42 am

hey folks. I've been programming nonstop for 4 days now with a decent sized rig under time pressure. Some things to think about:

1) as an LD programmer I look at the stage. I'm used to typing by touch. My fat fingers frequently hit the 3 and not the @. Also Highlight is dangerous there. frequently i find i've inadvertently set a fixture at fade time by accident. Also if the command line doesn't clearafter I textmatch to a color I never notice till after i've moved to the next thing. Bad work flow there.

2) shift +S# is a long spread for my hand.

3) whose idea was it to make the S keys number from bottom to top and the M keys number from top to bottom? COnsistency is key to fast programming. Also having the M's and S's the same amount of columns wide owuld be great. I hate having to look at the board to find the right number. I should be able to do it blind.

the board is a good one... but some things need to change.

_herrick

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: 3 things I hate about you (classic Pallette)

Post by RobertBell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:50 am

Don't disagree with you about the hardware layout. I'm as frustrated as you (we do the s/w, HCI was handed the h/w)

Text match issue :added: FS831
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:08 pm

I would like to add that it slows me down having to use the mouse. I do not have the touch screen monitor so I don't know if that would make a difference, but I also like to keep my eyes on the stage as much as possible, and grabbing the mouse, moving it around, and clicking on something takes much longer than a keystroke, and it's impossible to do without looking. Also the popup boxes are so slow I have to wait for them sometimes, or they don't pop up in time to take the information. For example, suppose I need to skip to cue 43 fast. If I type [GOTO] [43] [ENTER] very quickly, the popup box for the cue # only generates in time to receive the 3, and it goes to cue 3! Or on a slow day it doesn't get there at all before I've finished typing, and then it does nothing, still waiting for the cue number.

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Agreed the windows can be slow, but you can avoid them altogether.

If you prefer to use direct command entry and NOT see the windows unless you need them, under Hardware Setup there is a control that sets the CONSOLE PERSONALITY. You probably have it on Windows UI (that is the "user interface" when you use the software on a PC without a console).

I set most of the console I prep to Genius Pro. This makes the colours appear in a format that I am used to, and makes everything work via the command line.

Then you can type [GOTO] [43] [ENTER] as fast as you like.

...and if you really want to see the dialogue box, you can always get them by hitting SHIFT+(button)
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:49 pm

JohnGrimshaw wrote:
If you prefer to use direct command entry and NOT see the windows unless you need them, under Hardware Setup there is a control that sets the CONSOLE PERSONALITY. You probably have it on Windows UI (that is the "user interface" when you use the software on a PC without a console).
I tried changing to Palette US from Windows UI, and I still get a popup box when I use GoTo. Should I be using another option?

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Which h/w are you on? Are you trying the "o" button on the QWERTY keyboard too? Do you still have toolbar buttons above the cue list?

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:21 pm

I set it to "Palette Classic US" under Hardware setup, and then the toolbar buttons go away.

What does the "o" key do? I haven't tried it. I'm just trying to avoid windows and use the command line all the time, as John suggested.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:16 pm

So, are you saying that in that mode (Classic Palette US), you still get a dialog box when you press GOTO on the console?
Which hardware are you using?
What version of software are you using?

The 'o' keys is the QWERTY eq. of GOTO.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:00 am

Yes, I still get a dialogue box for Goto, and for Action. I'm using 10.4.2 software.
I thought "Classic Palette US" was the answer to the hardware question... what do you want to know?

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:40 am

In S3-Hardware Setup - S12-Console there is a combo box called Personality. One of the persoanlities is Palette Classic US. This is what you are using, right?

I want to know what hardware you are using. Is it a silver or black desk? How many GO buttons; how many sliders? The subject of this thread is CLASSIC PALETTE, so I figure it's a silver desk with two GO buttons and 32 subs, no?