Palettes - Selective vs Universal

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
TaineGilliam

Palettes - Selective vs Universal

Post by TaineGilliam » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:22 pm

There are times it would be very handy to have the equivalent of the GrandMA universal Preset/Palettes. Currently in the Palette software palettes only are applied to the fixtures they were recorded for and most of the time this is perfect. There are other times - especially in situations where the rig will be changing, fixtures added... - it would be nice to have the "universal" palettes. That is to say a palette that could apply to all the selected fixtured even if only some of the current selection was included at the creation of the palette. The ACM should allow this to be even more powerful than the MA implementation. The Gel palettes pretty much work this way already.

I realize I can work around this with appropriate use of "Copy From" but ...

Taine

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Palettes - Selective vs Universal

Post by RobertBell » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:48 am

agree 100% (not much else to say - you hit the nail on the head :geek: )
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:28 pm

How about one of those cute little "added" icons?

I found yet another job where fixtures kept and will keep getting added that makes it very annoying to always be updating color groups to include the new stuff.

Taine

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 am

I have been playing in the latest Beta build (10.3.41), and it seems to me that all we need to solve this is the ability to create the exact same "look type" as used to define the gel libraries. At the moment, if you view those Look Pages, and the items recorded in there, clearly they have been "hard coded" as a special Look Type.

If it were possible for a USER to create these "Universal Palette" types, then you would have your wish. It would be pretty simple to set up - something like:
- in any LOOK PAGE, set any specific "Type" to a new option "Universal Palette".
- record a single light to that look, and then as you use the Palette, everything else takes those values from the Pallete

You could record COLOUR values to get CMY (and the Colour bubble puts the first word in the name in the Colour bubble - just like the Gel does at the moment)
You could record position values, and lights will go to those values
Same applies to Shutter Values, gobos, Zoom, Edge... anything really.

Possible?
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Yep, much what I was thinking John. Except I think we want the "special" type to really be per look not always for an entire page. Maybe set a default for the page with an override per look - much like we do for which attributes now.

Taine

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Sorry if I was unclear, but that is what I meant - you change the "look type" of a specific look to "Universal Palette" - not the whole page.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd