Home Button

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
RobHalliday

Home Button

Post by RobHalliday » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:15 pm

Can we have a home button, please?

One of the nicest things about that lighting console beginning with 'E' is that it has a big home button right above the numeric keypad, so you can go:
1 POS HOME
or
1 COL HOME
or
1 SHUTTERS HOME
or even
1 ALL ATTS HOME

It's great. Yes, I could achieve this by recording 'home' palettes, but it's such a fundamentaly thing to want to do (particularly with framing lights) that saying you have to do that is a bit like saying you'd have to record a 'FL' palette before you could turn lights on....

If we are suffering from lack-of-button-itis, how about double tapping the att family button with a channel or channels on the command line? Or does that already do something else?

But on the next generation, a real home button please.

Rob.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Home Button

Post by RobertBell » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:45 am

we almost do this... SHIFT and LOWER ENCODER BUTTON on the LP series clears that attribute - but we don't have one for the whole family yet. SHIFT + POS (etc.) take the page back one. This is particularly only useful with shutter fixtrures when you go from Top/Bottom to Left/Right (rather than having to go all the way around)
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

gooze

Post by gooze » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:14 am

You do have a syntax for the whole family though. It doesn't go to a certain palette, but you can 'home' your attribute family with knockout.
[Channel#][Enter][S6 - Color][Enter]
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:13 am

that takes it to the tracked value (previous cue) when in LIVE
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

RobHalliday

Post by RobHalliday » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:22 pm

I want, very quickly, to be able to:
- get the light pointing 'home'
- get it to OW
- get it to no gobo
- get it to open shutters.

On 500, I had macro buttons called 'Beam Open', 'Col Open', Shutter Open', 'Home' to achieve exactly this - they were the LCD macro keys to easy to get to.

On Eos I love the way that I can do that or I can do it all at once (chan ALL Non-Intensity-Parameters HOME) (but isn't 'atts' easier to say than 'Non Intensity Parameters'?!)

Rob.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Oh boy a chance to restate my case -

First of all, Why channel # [Enter] [S6 -Color] [Enter] and not channel # [@] [S6-Color] [Enter] the [@] is much more in the spirit of the older command line consoles.

Second -

Attribute key - attribute on the command line / hold for wheel (current behaviour)
Family key - family name on the command line / "page fwd"
Attribute key double tap - level popup (currently does this)
Family key double tap - century popup for family palette
Shift-Attribute key - hold for fine tune (current behaviour)
Shift-Family key - copy from dialog (current behaviour for no shift after [@] )
Shift Attribute key double key - effect popup (current behaviour)
Shift Family Attribute key double tap - another option for the copy dialog since Robert REALLY likes the current "page back" (not quite as consistent with the rest of the interface).

Taine

MattKlasmeier

Post by MattKlasmeier » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm a fan of Taine's idea of using the family keys to activate the century pop ups. It keeps in context of moving light control by double tapping to bring up a selection menu. I also like Rob's idea of having an attribute home key. Why not use the release key to do this function? The syntax could be [fixture][attribute family][release]. A bonus would be [fixture][attribute family] [shift]+[release] to return the attribute to its previous selection.

RobHalliday

Post by RobHalliday » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:30 pm

Because since release is now 'undo', surely chan attfamily release/undo will return that attfamily to the last played back value?

That's what I'd expect it to do.

What I want is a home button rather than another touch-your-nose-scratch-your-knee-know-the-secret button combination....

Rob.

gooze

Post by gooze » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:13 am

TaineGilliam wrote:Why channel # [Enter] [S6 -Color] [Enter] and not channel # [@] [S6-Color] [Enter] the [@] is much more in the spirit of the older command line consoles.
It should be [@][S6 - Color][0][Enter] because
a. the default value is the first colorlook, so you'd have to type something in other to make clear what you want.
and
b. It makes no sense, at least no more sense then to use the current selection and do something with it as you do with selecting the channels [Enter]. The enter is only there for the current selection to become active. If it is already active you don't have to type anything.

The default/home Palette could be Palette 0 of every attribute family.
Or [#][@]{M10-Home} would do the same for all attributes. Separate home values could be recorded in look (position, color, lens, etc.) 0 of every attribute family. It has already a default value (the same as you would get if you release all channels and release all cueslists) and if you delete look 0 it returns to that value.

PS. Century pop-ups are only nice for those with a touchscreen, all others get all too tempted to pick up the mouse and that is something to be avoided at all times during the attempt to operate a lighting desk. Mice are the devil :evil:
PS2. Yes I know you can select with the wheel, and the arows... but it really is much slower!
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:36 pm

The reason I was not using a syntax of [@][S6 - Color][0][Enter] and needing the 0 was because in my dream world the dialog only pops up on [Shift S6-Color]. Without a shift Color appears on the command line much like the implied "Intensity" and making this all very similar to the [@][Enter] syntax we are used to using for "knockout". And the Zero seems very bad form as I'm trying to "knockout" not recall anything.

As for the Century popup pads - yes they are great for touchscreens, they are cool for mouse drivers AND since the first 12 buttons map to the S-keys they are VERY handy on the silver consoles. Even handier if we could get to them faster. And in all my talk about [S5] thru [S9], let's not forget the group key. A double tap here for the popup and [shift group] to open a dialog to choose from would be huge for the "what did I number that" crowd.

Back in my dream world, I could just type a look number (or text if we extend text match here), use the dialog opened via shift or use the popup from the double tap.

As for the Home key - a possible syntax extension to Highlight? We currently have Channel number [Highlight] and that is cool. How about Channel number[@][S7 - Gobo][Highlight]? Too much like your magic decoder ring problem, Rob?

Taine