Wacom drivers

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
gooze

Wacom drivers

Post by gooze » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:14 am

There are people - like me - who bought a Wacom Tablet (serial) for the 500/300-series to be used as a macro tablet. This is now pretty useless. That is not so nice since it was pretty expensive (had to be bought through Strand, because it was discontinued hardware) Could you pre-install the Wacom (serial and usb) drivers for the most sold tablets into XPE? You could then either use your tablet as a mouse or maybe re-use as a maco tablet in future software releases.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

anspls

Re: Wacom drivers

Post by anspls » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:13 pm

I seem to be in the same boat as you and am also wondering if this is supported in the new Operating system. I too spent the money on the tablet and am kind of stuck with it right now. Someone needs to say if a driver for this on the XP will make it work or not as it became a useful tool in programming and focusing. I hope that it can still be used otherwise it will be another tool gone obsolete.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25 pm

Sorry - all before our time. We've sort of migrated to touch screens (for fixture selection withing the application itself or vitrual 5x5s). It's not impossible (it's all code after all), but definately not a priority.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

anspls

Post by anspls » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:41 pm

I see your point and it is well taken, however, for some people like us who are still new to these newer technologies and the fact that Strand has left some of us behind to deal with these older equipments we have purchased in the past, it is hard pressed and thinking that we invested our money in something that is now going obsolete is a hard pill to swallow. With the introduction of the touch screens it has made it possible to be done quite fast, however, those of us who used the older technology in our hands has come to a point to decide whether all our investment has gone bad or shall I put it quite frankly Strand may have overlook the rest of us who currently use Strand Dimming System, Strand lighting controls, Strand Shownet, lighting fixtures for all these years. We are Strand clients very much so for many years and we stayed with Strand for a reason and it simply because we believed in their products and it's longevity all these years. The point I am trying to make is, don't talk as though we are from a different era and time in space. The fact of the matter is, Horizon Inc., have taken over the programming of Strand Lighting Consoles and have changed many of what programmers on Strand Consoles have been used to. We are now in a new way of doing and programming things on a set of consoles we have invested in for many years and we are struggling because you have change many of the features that we are used to. Let's take for example, the FIxture Library is not the same anymore and many other things have changed, this is my question to you, do you think that many of those that have bought Strand equipment before are happy with all these changes? The answer my friend is NO When program changed on the newer consoles so as many of the older equipment have to change so that they can talk to each other on the same network. Please don't count us out as it was not our choice that we are in this position. Simply put, we need to work together here to make things a win win situation for everyone, not that I dislike what Horizon Controls Inc. have done for Strand Consoles and to the rest of us who have to deal with these equipments on a daily basis, but somehow we need to work these things out so that everyone can be happy and move on in this new direction we are going through to make everyone happy and believe in Strand and its products will go on regardless of the changes that is currently happening right now. Of course all the changes that have been made on the newer consoles we welcome and it has improved the product as a Strand end user, but let's take things easy as this is the very reason we have this forum is to bring up our questions and get answers to our questions, but let's be kind to each other in the process as we go forward,

gooze

Post by gooze » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:10 am

I can see your point quite clearly. I had these issues myself.
There are two things we mustn't forget. First: If you would compare a lighting desk to a computer (which it basically is), you wouldn't complain at all if your four years old hardware wasn't supported anymore. The lifecycle of computers is much shorter than that of a lighting desk, but we are dealing with computer equipment or outboard gear that at some point is very hard to get drivers and code for.
Secondly don't forget (I saw that in another topic) you are working with beta-software. This software can have bugs. The point of having the beta software to a larger group of people is that the bugs leave more quickly! You have to work around these while programming.
I understand you are new to the Palette software, so maybe it might be good to work with the official release for a while to make yourself familiar with the software and to be able to see if things are a bug or just another way of working. I myself thought I had found a million bugs in the beginning until I discovered that it was my old 520 habits...
Meanwhile, welcome to the forum and enjoy the many new features of the Palette software!
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

anspls

Post by anspls » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:44 pm

Sorry, my comment was for the other gentleman commented before my comment. It wasn't directed at you. I am so sorry.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:04 am

My comment:
RobertBell wrote:Sorry ...It's not impossible (it's all code after all), but definately not a priority.
was not ment to infuriate or insult you. I'm sorry.

The fact of the matter is that we do have to make priorities and above all else, I want to be honest with you. I don't want you thinking your feature request, just because it has been noted, is around the corner.

FYI - We have bug tracking software called Flyspray (sometimes you’ll see a response from me :added: FS778 which means it's made it to our list). As of today, there are 262 OPEN items in that list. That sounds bad, but on the bright side, there are 452 CLOSED tasks and it should be noted that we only started using this system November 20, 2007. I feel like we have been very responsive to our users and, again, by no means did I mean to slight you or your opinion. There is a high priority list and you can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=761 FX on Looks has been the #1 request for 6 months now and we still have not done that, and for that I'm sorry to all users. What I can tell you is that we've not been sitting idle.

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:24 am

RobertBell wrote:There is a high priority list and you can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=761
The illustrious links that require special access!
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

anspls

Post by anspls » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 pm

Second the motion. We can not access that link my friend.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:58 pm

Sorry - it's in the beta section. If you want to be added as a beta test, please e-mail support@horizoncontrol.com.