iPhone Riggers Remote

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: iPhone Riggers Remote

Post by RobertBell » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 am

Nice product - but can you swim with it?
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Glad to see this back on the radar.

The embedded webserver in Palette is really quite powerful. Lots of info at http://www.embedthis.com/products/appwe ... erver.html. The server side bit should allow for lots of very cool things. I believe this was briefly discussed long ago - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=376. Marry this with a well chosen ajax framework and you could have a VERY slick environment.

As for Apache, it is very cool and powerful but also quite large and can chew up resources compared to some of the smaller sleeker servers out there.

And mysql on a console reminds me of a console I saw once on a USITT show floor back in 2006 -
Screen.JPG
Once upon a time...
Screen.JPG (26.74 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
Taine

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Yes, Apache is big, and perhaps not the right choice ( it's the easy one as I'm VERY familiar with it).

All things considered, it really doesn't chew up that many resources depending on the configuration, and would bring a wealth of new open source (and other) possibilities to the table for Palette. It's a large, stable project that happens to run a fair chunk of the web! It is however quite a pain to configure for Windows security!

That being said, the version of AppWeb we've been distributing is quite old and at the feature list has grown significantly since those early days.

I'll be putting that into the running (along with a few others) for an upgrade that will allow for a little more server side magic!
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 pm

If you're looking for iPhone CSS/HTML UI toolkits I've been looking at

iUI (nice but no documentation)

http://code.google.com/p/iui/

and iWebKit (nice!)

http://iwebkit.net/

These use the special safari only CSS to make things look an awful lot like a full app.
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

gooze

Post by gooze » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:40 am

Have a look here for touches and gestures and here for a demo. This works only on an iPhone or Safari set to Debug->User Agent->Mobile Safari
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

timmoore
Primary Venue / Use: Regional Theatre
Where I Am: Bristol, UK

Post by timmoore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies / suggestions...

Gary, I have seen these iPhone frameworks before - I have used iUi for a 'proper' work project, the very first version of my remote was based around this but using it up on stage, in the dark, I felt it was too glaring. So I went for a dark design - same colours as the OS, big buttons etc...

I have no preference regarding web server, I am using Apache for developement - I am a web developer by day so I am using my developement server. As long as it is configured correctly it should not matter what server is used. I have found - see the first few posts - that the AppWeb server on the desk is not configured to serve .css files corectly - to test this create an empty .css file i.e test.css in the web folder on the desk / OLE, using Firefox navigate to this file and right click, select 'view page info' - under Type: this should say text/css not text/html - Firefox and Safari will not use this file as css but as text. On my 'test' OLE I have altered the web config to make it work, but I believe it is too much to ask users to make subtle changes like this. PHP support would be great! again the WebApp would support it but the version on the desk / OLE is missing the relevant DLL.

I had a play with the jswipe suggested by Durisian and when attached to the + and - buttons I found the click handler triggered before the swipe. I also tried attaching it to the 'display' at the top and this worked ok - but I do have other ideas for this area in another release...
What working methods would people like to see:
A. swipe left / right for next and prev then press ON / REMDIM etc
or
B. swipe left / right and ON / REMDIM are automatic... i.e keep swiping to 'chase' through the channels?
or
C. none of the above....

Regarding Roberts comment about single / double entry, would people want a choice of either in a setting somewhere or is there a overwhelming support of one over the other?

Does anyone know the secrets of the script.mq? is it by design that there is nothing returned from this script? Looking at the headers returned I get a http error 204, so maybe it is a mis-configuration in the WebApp?

I am glad people like this, Gooze suggested Tom's or mine is used as the default one. I certainly have no objections to this, maybe tighten it up a bit first...

I am currently - proper work depending of course - working on another version, including the suggestions in this thread... keep em coming...

Many thanks to All

Tim

gooze

Post by gooze » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:22 am

I would choose option B and for a remote I don't mind it to be single digit (something I don't want on my desk). I think most of the time you want a light at full or off on the remote and if you want something else it is not going to be too precise. To protect your lights it's important the ON button stays.
I like the colourscheme.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

MickCrozier
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Melbourne, Australia

Post by MickCrozier » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:23 pm

option B.

Would be nice to prevent screen flipping to landscape mode.
Formerly Durisian (who died peacefully of digital old age)

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 pm

I love the colours. That's the best bit. Never mind the iPhone style.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

Kuni

Post by Kuni » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 am

important thing:
change the name to some other, please. After updating the console we don´t remember that the console do also the index.html into this path and we wonder why the app doesn´t work...

The design is quite nice and helpfull into the work, don´t change it. And no "slider-quickle-bibbbler" please. Because on a ladder you don´t have enough fingers to do all the things you must do.
............kuni................................
pimpedPalette VL16, Soft V10.8.5