Page 1 of 2

IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:39 am
by mat
Since 10.8.7 the cues don't appear in the cuelist section.
you can't call dimmers 2.1 but 513 which is not friendly user.

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:52 am
by BobbyHarrell
Will look into this.

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:40 am
by BobbyHarrell
So tech support tested this and here was their findings...

So I tested the iRFU app with my iPad with a 060 processor running 10.8.7. I was able to control cues and looks just fine. I patch in 2 universes of dmx and while in Fixture mode I tried 2.1 and it didn’t work, it wouldn’t take the point when you typed in a channel. Now if you go into the Output mode, you can do a 2.1 and it works fine.

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:34 am
by mat
well, i run a new show and everything were fine...
Strange....

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:45 am
by mat
Well,
I'm going mad with this IRFU problem:

when I am in OUTPUT mode typing 2.1 never works, I have to type 513.
and when I turn my Ipad into landscape to access the output GRID I can't select outputs to get intensities to it.

Help please, I 'm lost and it is really annoying to count with my calculator each time I want to test a dimmer....


thanks

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:33 pm
by BobbyHarrell
You'll need to talk to the author of the app. Nick at Backstage Solutions.

I found this link online...

backstagesolutions.com.au/irfu/help/Palette_iRFU_User_Manual.pdf

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:30 am
by mat
Ok,
I try it

Thanks

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:44 pm
by mat
I wrote a mail to backstage solution but no answer...

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:20 am
by mat
it seems that the problem is the IOS version.
It would need an update but no anwser of backstage solution.

Re: IRFU problems (bugs)

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:58 am
by MickCrozier
Hi Mat

Apologies - my email had issues a while back and seems that's when you were trying to get in touch.
Sadly I haven't used iRFU myself for some time and have been unaware of any serious issues.

I'm looking into this now.
Sadly an update may take substantial effort due to some of the API's I used also needing updates.

edit...
This may take a while - I need to run a virtual machine as the OLE doesn't seem to want to run on windows 10