Different open source apps as widgets?

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
AlanMartello
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA

Re: Different open source apps as widgets?

Post by AlanMartello » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:15 am

We've had these discussions internally for quite some time. There are a number of technological hurdles with it that we've identified, but there may be others lurking as well. I would like to encourage this discussion as it may help us uncover other issues, applications, methods of invocation or interface methodologies we haven't adequately considered to date. In the "big picture", we'd definitely like to head in this direction.
Alan Martello, Ph.D. - System Architect - Horizon Control Inc.

gooze

Post by gooze » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 am

Maybe it could be placed with the Menu -> Display -> Other Window, which then appear (as you choose more then one) in one tabbed window. It could be the same as your tabbed browsing in Safari or Firefox. Tabs need to be big enough for use with a touchscreen.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

jgoss
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Miami, Florida USA

Post by jgoss » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:16 am

gooze wrote:Maybe it could be placed with the Menu -> Display -> Other Window, which then appear (as you choose more then one) in one tabbed window. It could be the same as your tabbed browsing in Safari or Firefox. Tabs need to be big enough for use with a touchscreen.
I like the tabbed browsing idea, and I definitely agree that it is preferable to have plug-ins or apps instead of using the script editor.
Obviously there are times in which it is preferable to have an app running on second machine, even if that laptop is sitting right next to the console. But I think that many of the open source apps would integrate naturally into the console (Pixel Mapper I'm looking at you).
Jon Goss
Head Electrician, Ballet Opera House
Arsht Center for Performing Arts
Miami, FL

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:20 am

jgoss wrote:(Pixel Mapper I'm looking at you).
Good news on Pixel Mapper - we fixed a major bug this week due out in 10.6.2 where dark images flashed the fixtures to white (was very annoying if you were not using full frame images and wanted the cue values to mask in behind your image. PixelMapper is much sweeter now. If you haven't tried it - please do with 10.6.2.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:30 pm

RobertBell wrote:f you haven't tried it - please do with 10.6.2.
Would love to... whenever we actually see it hit the street... Strand's had it almost a week now haven't they? :P
I know, I know. It's coming... so is Christmas. :P
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)