21st Century Light Plot Viz

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
PhilFoleen

21st Century Light Plot Viz

Post by PhilFoleen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:46 pm

So I've been toying with the idea of using the Augmented Reality concept for a few things. Included below is the link to a quick and dirty youtube video I made to illustrate my idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEvdQvYfv8

Augmented Reality(from the Wiki):"Augmented reality (AR) is a field of computer research which deals with the combination of real-world and computer-generated data (virtual reality), where computer graphics objects are blended into real footage in real time.

At present, most AR research is concerned with the use of live video imagery which is digitally processed and "augmented" by the addition of computer-generated graphics. Advanced research includes the use of motion-tracking data, fiducial markers recognition using machine vision, and the construction of controlled environments containing any number of sensors and actuators.
"

So the concept is as follows: An Open Palette program that pulls it's info for the light plot from WYSIWYG or Virtual Magic Sheet etc. builds a quick 3D model, such as the one that I have in the video, and populates the plot. Since inside Augmented Reality you can print out all sorts of different icons to fire any command or environment you want, the possibilities are infinite. the Program would live track the active fixtures, changing their color or something to show they are selected, maybe showing the beam, who knows. This is a much cooler and practical solution for Richard Pilbrows "What the @#%& is that light!" problem that he used Virtual Magic Sheet to solve on Two Cities.

With this program you can rotate the plot in any direct, as shown, and if the active fixtures are differentiated in some way, it would be even easier to pick out an out of place fixture, and with the 3D capabilities, this makes it an even better show visualizer as well.

There is an infinite amount of possibility here, for more examples search for Augmented Reality on youtube, and check out http://www.ge.com/GE_Augmented_Reality Here GE has a faster example with interaction and full color and motion, a good way to get the wheels turning to the possibilities.

Thanks guys, let me know what you think.
If you want to paint with light, you're going to need a Palette

mgutowski

Re: 21st Century Light Plot Viz

Post by mgutowski » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Impressive video, I'm really interested in it and what was done.
I am though having a tough time figuring out an application in which I would use this technology, maybe with the use of a maquette? (nudge nudge new vid?? lolz!) Maybe actually have a maquette and the lighting plot with elevations above it show up so you can see both the physical object AND the rendering of the plot.
Pretty kick ass though, really impressive and I would love to see more!
And while I'm thinking about it, you said
you can print out all sorts of different icons to fire any command or environment you want, the possibilities are infinite
aaaaand as a nerd who just got a iPod which will be upgraded soon to an iPhone, I was wondering if it would be still as responsive if there was an icon on the iPod instead of what you had in your video on the board.

Anyways I'm spent, the video is amazing and it looks really really cool. Look forward to seeing more!
Oh and the link to GE doesn't work for me.
Michael "G" Gutowski
The Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts

PhilFoleen

Re: 21st Century Light Plot Viz

Post by PhilFoleen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks Michael,

As far as the maquette goes, absolutely. part of the beauty of Sketchup is the speed that you can render 3D at, and the prospect of integrating that with a live feedback piece of software like WYSIWYG really excited me.

The iPhone actually brings up a really fantastic set of opportunities. First, yes the program would render just as fast, the 3D model data is stored inside the program itself, so a piece of cardboard, a towel, hotpants, iphone, you name it, if it has the icon printed it will do the same thing. the augmented reality concept has also been demonstrated on the iPhone and other smart phones, using the internal camera and overlaying the 3D model on the devices display. This makes me think of using icons with Lightwrite and an iPhone to look up fixture positions really fast, or to display the current electric that the printout referencing. There are an astounding number of possibilities, and these little ideas haven't even referenced the Palette yet!

and here's the actual GE link:

http://www.ge.com/GE_Augmented_Reality
If you want to paint with light, you're going to need a Palette