Stage Directions ask who is using OpenPalette apps?

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Stage Directions ask who is using OpenPalette apps?

Post by RobertBell » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 am

Please see the following e-mail and either post here or e-mail Michael directly. Thank you for helping spread the word.
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Stage Directions - OpenPalette Article
Importance: High

Robert,

Would you be able to send me a list of shows that are using any of the OpenPalette apps? Jacob at Stage Directions would like to mention other productions, especially off-Broadway, regional, resident theatres, etc. I realize that you probably don't know where a lot of them go, but any information that you have on other users would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Michael
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

Lotos
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Burlington, Ontario, Canda

Re: Stage Directions ask who is using OpenPalette apps?

Post by Lotos » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, Stage West's relationship with Open Palette software goes back a long ways...

Way back when, we were running The Rocky Horror Show... We needed some way to integrate PowerPoint cleanly. (We now have a Maxedia, but I digress...) Robert to the rescue with Lua...

My favourite application came more recently though... A few months back, we opened 'The British Invasion'... A revue show... The LD hung everything but the kitchen sink... Pre-programed in WYSIWYG for weeks... It was a massive show...
Well, the week after it opened, on the Equity day off... Came a special event, and I sat down to program the lights...

First thing I did, was go into the patch, and turn the 'Invert Pan' off the left side of the rig. (Busking Live, I'm a HUGE fan of the inbuilt effects... Some of these don't look quite right with an Invert running...) Programming a few cuelists with some effects... Then I got to wanting all my lights down centre... "Oh, that's not a problem... The LD built a palette for that..." Select my lights, tap the position palette... As you can imagine, half of them went down centre... The other half went into the wings... And I went to my email... Fired off an explanation to Robert, asked if there was any way to save my positions...

He responded with: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1549

I still use that piece of code to this day... It's a neat little trick (along with Tools->Flip) for Moving Heads when running live.
Alex Boxall | Venue Technician
Burlington Performing Arts Centre

tom

Post by tom » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Do you mean just the openpalette.org apps abd just any 3rd party stuff.

At the Netherlands Dans Theater we use external apps quite regularly. But from the openpalette apps just the stage managers cue app.

Other than that it's the webapp remote stuff, the matrix software i developed and a few other custom apps.
Light palette : classic
Nederlands Dans Theater.

"Come forth and thy shalt win eternal happiness", but he came fifth, so he won an electric toaster.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Tom - please tell Michael a little about your apps and experience with OP in general. He'd love to hear what you've done with it. Thanx

AlanMartello
Where I Am: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA

Post by AlanMartello » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:00 pm

tom wrote:Do you mean just the openpalette.org apps abd just any 3rd party stuff.

At the Netherlands Dans Theater we use external apps quite regularly. But from the openpalette apps just the stage managers cue app.

Other than that it's the webapp remote stuff, the matrix software i developed and a few other custom apps.
Tom - absolutely anything external to the Strand supplied console that integrates with it using Lua.

Thanks much!
Alan Martello, Ph.D. - System Architect - Horizon Control Inc.

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:57 pm

I sent an email direct to Michael...
JohnGrimshaw wrote: Just a quick note that my brother and I developed software to separately display/active the "softkeys". This was partly as an exercise to see if it was possible, and partly to address the fact that the Palette hardware deliberately excludes onboard displays.

It was so simple to make happen that I have parked the project for further development when I get a chance. The potential for outboard. "third party" solutions is mind-bogglingly huge, and a smart programmer could capitalise on this this some well built and well priced solutions.

Think iTouch for the lighting world!
...and you know what, I think the iTouch model is EXACTLY what Strand should do. Encourage development of small 3rd party programs by allowing people to "write" applicatons and provide a means so that people can earn a little money directly from the "take up" of those apps. This further encourages people to spend time building and refining ideas.

Sit a bunch of programmers in a room, and they can create a great piece of software. Build it in such a way that a 1000 programmers can adapt the software to new uses and there is no limit to huge range of development options that Strand could never dream of. I have a few of these cooking away in my mind right now, and all it will take is a little effort (I.E: time) on my part to make it happen.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:41 pm

JohnGrimshaw wrote:...and you know what, I think the iTouch model is EXACTLY what Strand should do. Encourage development of small 3rd party programs by allowing people to "write" applicatons and provide a means so that people can earn a little money directly from the "take up" of those apps.
It's in there - you don't even need to involve us.
Use:

Code: Select all

print(HC.GetProperty('system','authinfo')) 
and hash what you get back (i.e., a return may be: USB Key, SN: 601-10322). Do what you like.