Toms projects

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
tom

Toms projects

Post by tom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:30 am

I'm going to steal a thread for myself to show a few of the projects i've been working on. Most of the posts here are going to be things that are customised to be handy for myself. So lots of it wont really be usable. Also Most of these are just concepts so theres lots of not working yet involved. Have a look if you like but theres probably not so much usefullness to be achieved here.

I'm not going into details on how everything works so if there are questions just ask.

Eventually i'll be working on all of these but no time in the near future.

Finger Tracking :
finger tracking.jpg
finger tracking.jpg (8.98 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
track square.rar
(8.49 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
A small program which allows you to control pan and tilt values through a touch panel.

To do:
Make range selection possible.
Be able to switch between relative and absolute values.
Adjust sensitivty
Last edited by tom on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Light palette : classic
Nederlands Dans Theater.

"Come forth and thy shalt win eternal happiness", but he came fifth, so he won an electric toaster.

tom

Re: Toms projects

Post by tom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 am

Screen o Handy
handy.jpg
handy.jpg (36.58 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Screen o handy.rar
(41.26 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
This program has quite a few functions. You can assign quick selections to keys to be called back when needed. It has a report function which will tell you the level of a channel, the assigned dimmer and the source of the channel. Theres a patch function. Variable buttons will react to the variable page nyou enter. These can be used to launch the macros. Also it'll give the buttons the label you'll given the macro. Theres also a print selection function. If you have a huge selection string then it can be printed to the lowest text field. This can then be copied and planted into a real macro.

This prog has plenty of bugs still, i dont advise using it in a show enviorment. The bugs are:
The selection set buttons need to be clicked twice to assign the current selection. If you try and assign a key when you have nothing selected it sometimes crashes. If there is a space in the name of the macro it'll spread it out over two buttons.

!!! This program once forced me to restart the horizon software - DON'T USE IT IN DURING A SHOW
Nederlands Dans Theater.

"Come forth and thy shalt win eternal happiness", but he came fifth, so he won an electric toaster.

tom

Post by tom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:48 am

Matrix control pack
This is the full and working version of my matrix control program. There are two sections to it. Firstly the matrix control:
matrix.jpg
matrix.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
I'm not going to go into the details of how it works here. I'll tap out a readme if i ever fully release it. I'm planing on making it more customisable so you can assign your own channels in specific shapes. But now it is as it is.

The personality control section
personality.jpg
personality.jpg (12.06 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
This is a way of controling JARAG30 matrix wall made by chromlech. Again the plan is to make it customisable before releasing it properly. There are a few funny ideas in this program calling up number pads on the touch screen. Try assiging a bank or intensity value and you'll see what i mean.

I've also included a visualiser for the wall, it's very laggy but it does give an impression of what you are doing. It does'nt work for the personality control.
matrix.rar
(233.82 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Zip includes:
Matrix control
array control (jarag personality)
Visualiser
Palette file.
Nederlands Dans Theater.

tom

Post by tom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:53 am

And my ultimate favourite:

The piano
Load it up, load the palette file, place the looks page "piano" on your faders. Plug in some headphones, then just start pressing your bump buttons.

Then try and explain to your supervisor that you are actually doing something productive and not wasting company time.
Attachments
piano.rar
(659.21 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Nederlands Dans Theater.

Kuni

Post by Kuni » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 am

tom wrote:Then try and explain to your supervisor that you are actually doing something productive and not wasting company time.
Hi Tom,
you are a wizard?
What are the words YOU tell the supervisor that you have to have the time to do such things?
Or are you the Supervisor?
;)
............kuni................................
pimpedPalette VL16, Soft V10.8.5

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:51 am

Piano is GREAT! I'm just about to do a mini-trade show this week. This will be how I end all demos. Thank you.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Tom,

NICE WORK!

If anything at all causes you to restart (the screen-o-handy post) , please let me know what made it happen so I can fix it.

And if you need any enhancements / additions to the scripting library I'm here to help!
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

tom

Post by tom » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 am

Yup, I've got a few request.

HC commands,
Getselectedcuelist (i thought this might have been added already)
Getcurrentcue (i think we have that one already aswel)
GetProperty(cuelist, cue number, up time, down time, other times)
Select(cuelist, cue)
Select(lookpage, look no.)
Getproperty(fixture, indepedent time)
Release(cuelist name, time)
Release(fixture string, time)
ReleaseAll(time)

HC commands for the whole effects section, but i believe that problematic??

Someway of getting the value of many fixtures quicker, ideally in realtime. This is kindof crippling my ideas for matrix setups at the moment.

Enjoy the piano, it's a full octave so in theory you should be able to get a tune out of it. I'm thinking about adding a function for two notes at the same time. But thats going to make the prog considerably bigger.
Nederlands Dans Theater.

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:19 pm

:added: FS1314 OpenPalette changes for Tom

I've pasted your message into our issue tracker.....
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:22 pm

>> Someway of getting the value of many fixtures quicker, ideally in realtime. This is kindof crippling my ideas for matrix setups at the moment.

10.5.12 has HC.SearchFixtureProperties(...)

This is a function that allows you to narrow down a GetProperty for fixtures to JUST what you want.

Here's the documentation:

SearchFixtureProperties Macro

SearchFixtureProperties ( ' search_bounds ', ' inuse|notinuse|all ', fixture_num_match, ' att_family_match ', start_index, max_num_fixtures_returned, ...properties... )

search_bounds - a fixture range, or a look specification in the form of 'look page name:look' where look can be #XX for a look number, X for an index or any string not starting with # for a look name. * is the wildcard

'inuse|notinuse|all' - return only fixtures matching this current live state. Captured and/or selected is defined as inuse. Fixtures fading to zero (green zero) are also inuse.

fixture_num_match - match the following attribute families on all fixtures in bounds to this fixture. Unquoted fixture number used here (not fixture index as number)

'att_family_match' - match these attributes in the form of 'PGCLS'

start_index - of all matching fixtures, skip this many matches before returning anything max_num_fixtures_returned - return up to this many fixtures. If start_index is a quoted string starting with # (i.e., '#1') it is the fixture number

... properties ... properties to return -- same as GetProperty('fixture', ...