Cue Tip FS version 1 released

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Cue Tip FS version 1 released

Post by RobertBell » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:37 pm

CueTipFS Logo.jpg
CueTipFS Logo.jpg (18.36 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Cue Tip Follow Spot is an application which should be run on a laptop or computer with a touchscreen for each follow spot operator in a production. Ideal, the touchscreen is 600x800 (portrait) but by opening the VB.Net Open Palette project, the layout can be tailored to any format. Each CueTip FS system listens to its own fixture number on the Palette (of type Generic – Follow Spot Notes). The Image attribute of the follow spot should have a wheel profile added which includes all the actors’ names. Images of the actors (using the same naming convention) are added locally on the Cue Tip machine. Cues should be recorded assuming the follow spots are just another set of moving lights in the show. The system will automatically look forward to its own next cue information. If you want to see the screen display as you are working, press the LIVE button on Cue Tip. During the show, the operators can look forward to their next cues using the arrow buttons. Press the Cue Light button to the far left to return to the current cue state. If needed, they can change the actors’ image to remind themselves of what the actors look like. The image will revert to what the console is putting out after 30 seconds. Cue Tip FS requires Palette v10.5 or greater.
Attachments
Cue Tip FS EXE.zip
(588.58 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
CueTip FS Code.zip
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

RobertBell

Re: Cue Tip FS version 1 released

Post by RobertBell » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:42 pm

This is an image of what this one looks like:
CueTip FS.jpg
CueTip FS.jpg (148.92 KiB) Viewed 2177 times

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:07 pm

One of the key things this could be useful for is when a spot fails, and the remaining spots have to try and cover the show. Any thoughts on this?

And, how the cues from one spot can be "shared" amongst the others?

Perhaps it could be as simple as being able to "see" the cuelist of another spot at the same time as your own?
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 am

I've been asked if the 2nd assistant LD (the one whom primarily will cue the spots) had a view with all 4 spots (or 6). Maybe the Fixture Number for the spot should be on the main page and the op can change it without having to go into the Options DB.

alexfabozzi

Post by alexfabozzi » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to get the follow spot program to work with the Light Palette Classic using the 10.5.10 software.

I have installed the .exe file on the computer but after hooking up to the console I cant find a fallow spot to patch for Cue Tip.
Am I doing something wrong? Does the software have to be installed on the console as well? I just am missing a step. Should we try making step by step instructions for open palette software?

Thanks
Alex Fabozzi

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:55 pm

In patch by fixture, for the channel number you wish to use, change the fixture type to Generic > Follow Spot Notes.

In the Cue Tip FS software you can then specific which channel (spot #) to look for.
No, the software does not need to be installed on the console.
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

SkipG
Where I Am: Live 24 / 364 TV

Re: Cue Tip FS Question

Post by SkipG » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:48 am

Rob we have been looking at the “Cue Tips” program and it has a lot of interest by our live show backstage personal, Show Producers and Floor managers. Would it be possible for you to make some changes in the software so it could be adapted to our live show needs? Here is what we would like to see. We don’t run cues for the live show so we would need it to have it trigged by some other means,

Here are some of the questions we have received so fare:

• To have the new show information be triaged by time, command line or a look master
• The ability to add larger photos & files (show info)
• Update or add notes on the fly

Let me know if any of this is possible.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:36 am

Maybe I need a little more background of what they are trying to do (rather than what they are trying to see). The clever bit (for theatre) in the cue tip products is that it 'looks ahead' to see what is going to change next (and after that and so on).

The CueTip FS one does have a LIVE button that shows what the lighting desk has on deck right now (useful for programming sessions, but would be way too late for calling spot calls during a run). I'm thinking this is what you want. Maybe another application sort of like Cue Tip PM, but only show one (large) photo of what the desk is outputting LIVE. Then it can be data from a cue, a look or captured (wouldn't matter).

As for adding notes on the fly - the best thing right now is for someone to be using a Remote Sesson on a laptop and work in blind on the cues/looks that will ultimately trigger the data.

Image size is of no concern. I think I optimized the screens for 800x600 or 1024x768 (and to fit all the other data on the same screen). If you only need one picture, it can be almost full screen (leaving enough room for notes text).

FYI - I'm on a gig this week and holiday next week.

MattKlasmeier

Post by MattKlasmeier » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Robert,

I'm having a problem getting images to display for the actors. I keep getting an error of no actor images found. What format do the pictures need to be in? Mine are all .jpg. I created a custom wheel profile and patched it to the image attribute. The names are the same as the file names. What am I missing? I also set the image directory and yet it will still not work. Is there a max image size.

Thanks

Matt

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:08 pm

.jpg is great. Any size. Not sure what is going on.
Do you get the error when you are in the Options dialog box or when your fixture changes images?
Did the profile show the names in the bubble?
Maybe post the show file and three images.