(WIP) Martix setup

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
tom

(WIP) Martix setup

Post by tom » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:26 pm

We have to do a show that invloves 5x5 PAR20 flash type boxes.
And then a wall of 9 x 3

Normally this would be run of a seperate laptop but i thought it would be a challenge to write a program for the palette. This is what it's looking like so far :
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (116.17 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
How it works:
You use the design square to draw out a pretty pattern.
Then if you press the "to" button you can tranfer your pattern to the templates.
Once you have filled up a template screen you can save it as a bank by pressing the save button. You dont need to give it an extension but if you give it a .txt you can at least have a look at it.
Equally you can call back a bank by pressing "open"
By pressing "from" you can transfer a template back to the editor or to the output section.
When you place something in the output square it will be live on stage. (if you have the .spf file, which is'nt ready yet as the patch is a bit of a monster)
So once you've got your output sqaure looking like you want it to look you can use the record section to lay it down in a cuelist.
You can drop a design straight into the output section by using the aptly named "drop" button.

Assigning the designs to the templates or output box can be alittle fiddly as if you click exactly on one of the black lines it wont work. Sometimes it takes a second click.

This is designed to be used on the touch screen of the palette.

So.... What do you think?
Attachments
Matrix.rar
(94.7 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Light palette : classic
Nederlands Dans Theater.

"Come forth and thy shalt win eternal happiness", but he came fifth, so he won an electric toaster.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: (WIP) Martix setup

Post by RobertBell » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:09 am

tom wrote:When you place something in the output square it will be live on stage. (if you have the .spf file, which is'nt ready yet as the patch is a bit of a monster)
Does each element become just a dimmer fixture? I get nothing onthe output - is that because my fixture numbering is not the same as yours. Please give us your spf.
Do you plan to patch the desk too?

Looks fun.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

tom

Post by tom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Yup, every element in the output square is patched to it's own channel. The first square is 1111-1155. Then 1211-1255 for the next horizontal box and 2111-2155 for the next vertical box. So channels 1111 thru 3955 are used for this setup (675 channels in total). If you get my logic. Mind you, this current version is not fully routed yet.

IF you create the channels
1111-1115
1121-1125
1131-1135
1141-1145
1151-1155

you can play around with the first output square. Square 2 and 3 are partially done but the other 24 are not working in this version.
Nederlands Dans Theater.

"Come forth and thy shalt win eternal happiness", but he came fifth, so he won an electric toaster.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:48 pm

Got that now - it works !
What are you writting this in? Clearly you're on a mac - but I'm running it on windows.
Do you need help with the patch - it would be much easier for the app to patch the desk than me doing it manually.

tom

Post by tom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Good idea about the exe patching the console automatically. I'll look into that. Mind you as it is now it'll only be useful for the setup we are using at work so until i make it more versatile i'll only need to patch it once. Also I'm not sure how the boxes are layed out so I have to wait for them to be in house before i can start the patch.

I wrote it in VB. I once hacked the luna theme on my laptop, silly little experiment. It's just an XP machine. Ignore the visual fluff :D
silly.jpg
silly.jpg (16.18 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Nederlands Dans Theater.

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 am

That's pretty cool Tom.

It would be pretty cool if it was reading the console outputs too so that as you are playing back cues you can see a visualization on the matrix.
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

tom

Post by tom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:18 am

That's a good idea too. I reckon that would be fairly easy to do aswel. I also want to make it more customisable, so the user can layout there own output squares. But I'm going to wait until after our show is in production before I do that.
Nederlands Dans Theater.

tom

Post by tom » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:48 pm

I've been working on a visualiser screen for the matrix setup. So that you can preview what you've programmed without having the rig.

I have it working, but.....

I use this to get the level:

Code: Select all

ConCom(1111).WriteString("print(HC.AttributeGetValue(1111))")
And as there is the possibility that all 675 channels could be fading at the same time the only way I can see to get it woring is to have a seperate telnetconnectionclass for each fixture.

ConCom(1111) = New TelnetConnectionClass("Localhost")
This works but it takes forever for the program to start up. The example i've included only has the first 25 channels and it already takes 10 seconds to start up. There must be a smarter way of doing this, but i cant seem to find it yet. So if i proceed like i am now the visualiser will work but it'll take about 3 minutes to start up.
Can anybody help?

Rar includes app and spf.
Attachments
matrix vis.rar
(41.84 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Nederlands Dans Theater.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:18 pm

ConCom(1111).WriteString("print(HC.AttributeGetValue('1111/1211'))")
then parse what you get back - only one connection needed

tom

Post by tom » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:24 am

Yup, that makes sense. Thats the first way i tried but i immeadiatly stumbled into a problem.

I'm having trouble seperating them. I'm trying it on the first five channels now and them problem i get is that the values can either be 1,2 or 3 charachters long.

1@100
2@1
3@0
4@11
5@100

So the return value of these five channels can be seperated in different ways.
1001011100. Is there an easy way of seperating them?

I'm probably overlooking something very simple.
Nederlands Dans Theater.