(VB.NET) My View - 2D Real-time visualizer and magic sheet

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

(VB.NET) My View - 2D Real-time visualizer and magic sheet

Post by RobertBell » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:51 pm

My View can be used as an alternate display on the console or remotely on a laptop on the network. It offers a friendlier graphical interface that is completely customizable and provides real-time feedback on what is happening in your rig. Lighting designers often build paper ‘magic sheets’ to separate their rig into tidy squares of different purposes. Horizon (the PC based control sold by Rosco and developed by the Palette software team) had a feature called “Active Magic Sheets” (tm) where users could build HTML documents that would have hyperlinks that could ask the desk to select fixtures. My View takes that concept full circle by then showing you the result of those edits and of running cues. Think of it as a 2D-Bi-Directional visualizer.
Here is an example of a smaller rig with some callouts showing you what the symbols mean.
My View.jpg
My View.jpg (137.84 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
After running the application you need to ‘steal’ the patch from the console. Do this by choosing FILE|POPULATE. The grid will be filled with one object for each of your fixtures.
Populated.jpg
Populated.jpg (131.47 KiB) Viewed 5637 times
Those that are moving lights will get a little blue triangle showing you where the light is pointed (and if it’s in its home position, it will have a blue circle around the fixture number). As you pan and tilt this fixture on the desk, the arrow will point to where the light is pointing. Right-click options allow you to offset the pan angle or invert pan if need be to match the real lights. If cues are running, you will set the current state of the world in real-time. (There is no edit vs. run-time mode – it’s hot all the time).
After populating the grid, you can SHIFT-CLICK and drag the objects to where you want on them in your view. Typically, you will first draw GROUP BOXES using the INSERT MENU.
Group Box DB.jpg
Group Box DB.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
After placing a box, you can SHIFT-CLICK the text to move it and the lower right hand corner allows you to size it. Before adding many boxes, I normally go into the FILE|MANAGE dialog box and uncheck the whole rig.
Manage DB.jpg
Manage DB.jpg (73.67 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
Then I check off one fixture, close the dialog box and manually place it in the desired location. Then I enter the Manage dialog box again and click off subsequent fixtures. They will automatically get placed next to the fixture with the next lowest number that has already been placed. Continue doing this until your magic sheet is complete. Keep in mind, there is no need to have the entire rig in the view, but keep in mind that the database is a living copy of the Palette Patch. If you add or delete fixtures in the Palette software, they will appear or disappear automagically in My View.

Here is a picture of the Options dialog box:
Options DB.jpg
Options DB.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
To date, this is the largest Open Source project we’ve posted. It is still a work in progress and will be for some time, but less and less so with your assistance.
To do (shortcomings)
  • Drag and drop sucks! We need ghost image of dragging objects
  • Right-click DELETE and PROPERTIES box for group boxes
  • Right Click STORE SELECTION SET for group boxes to store the current selection set and send it to the console upon subsequent clicking’s
  • Simple Text Labels and Line objects
  • Add properties to fixture to show/hide palette names and/or draw borders around fixtures objects
  • Need to deal with huge rigs with long palette name text. Lua script at engine end is timing out. Need partitioning when return string gets too long
Attachments
My View EXE Only.zip
.Net 2.0 Executable only (must be running beta June 23 or greater)
(67.13 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
My View VB Source Code.zip
VB.Net Source code
(143.13 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

RobertBell

Re: (VB.NET) My View - 2D Real-time visualizer and magic sheet

Post by RobertBell » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:15 pm

This version of the exe will work on 10.3.20. To make it work, I made this change to form1.vb

Code: Select all

' Const QueryString As String = "print(HC.GetCommandLineText() .. '\1' .. HC.GetCurrentSelectionSet() .. '\1' .. HC.AttributeGetValue('1/5000', 'Number', 'Intensity+VS', 'Position+LVS', 'Color Mix+LVS'))"
Const QueryString As String = "print('Command Line Text*' .. '\1' .. HC.GetCurrentSelectionSet() .. '\1' .. HC.AttributeGetValue('1/5000', 'Number', 'Intensity+VS', 'Position+LVS', 'Color Mix+LVS'))"
Attachments
My View.zip
works on 10.3.20
(67.1 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

fredthe

Post by fredthe » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:17 pm

I've been playing with the visualizer a bit... although it works fine running on the console, it seems to have problems when running on a seperate computer, and the console is not at the default address of 192.168.0.99.

From looking at the code, it looks like the problem is that the options dialog uses form1.ConnectToHost() to verify host connectivity before updating the registry with the new console IP address... good in theory, but ConnectToHost() checks connectivity to the old (registry) address, which will, of course fail.

I'd fix this, but I don't have VB. Could comeone please fix this?
(Or, is it really not borken, and I've got something else wrong?0

Thanks,
Fred

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:31 pm

When we first got out console I had this running on a laptop without any problems. I had to change the IP address but I don't remember having any difficulty with that.
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:50 pm

Try deleting the registry entry. Then it can't check. (I think I've done this in the past - It's true it needs fixing)

tom

Post by tom » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 am

I like this one alot but unfortunantly it won't let me save my layout.
It throws up an error message when I try to save.

Method not found.
Light palette : classic
Nederlands Dans Theater.

"Come forth and thy shalt win eternal happiness", but he came fifth, so he won an electric toaster.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Hmmm. Couldn't convince you to d/l VB.Net Express edition and run it from code, could we. Then we'd get a line number.
Aside from that - is there anything special about your layout? Did you have a lot of boxes or text, or did you just re-arrange fixtures and try to save. Does it save if you just Populate and Save? Could it be a mapped network drive thing? Do you get the SAVE AS dialog box?

fredthe

Post by fredthe » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Well, I finally got it working external to my console (had to manually add the regestry entry), but now I also have the problem of being unable to save...
It's the same running on the console or external, with only just the initial populating from the console, and both Save and Save As have the same effect... it looks like the error occurs when it tries to do OpenFileDialog1, as the dialog box never appears, and it gives some sort of unhandled execption error. Is the Open File dialog perhaps part of some other .net package that needs installing?

I may load VB.net express next week and see if that helps. (If I can get that particular computer on the school's network, which is a problem in itself)

-Fred

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:54 pm

You may need .net framework 3.5
This is what it is doing if you want to figure out how far it is getting.

Code: Select all

Private Sub SaveAsToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles SaveAsToolStripMenuItem.Click
        If Me.Panel1.Controls.Count < 1 Then
            MsgBox("Nothing to write")
            Exit Sub
        End If
        With OpenFileDialog1
            .AddExtension = True
            .DefaultExt = ".myv"
            .CheckFileExists = False
            .CheckPathExists = True
            .AutoUpgradeEnabled = True
            .FileName = ""
            .Filter = "My View Files (*.myv)|.myv"
            .Multiselect = False
            .Title = "Save As..."
        End With
        If OpenFileDialog1.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
            CurrentFileName = OpenFileDialog1.FileName
            FileSave()
        End If
    End Sub

tom

Post by tom » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:26 pm

framework 3.5, check.

Problem solved.

Now if only i could install that on the palette itself.

I reckon to use this, i could probably do most of the stuff offline, but it would be nice to be able to fine tune on the work floor.
Light palette : classic
Nederlands Dans Theater.

"Come forth and thy shalt win eternal happiness", but he came fifth, so he won an electric toaster.