(VB.Net) Rack Palette architectural touch screen classes

Open Source software contributions and discussions that supplement or extend the Palette / Light Palette software
RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

(VB.Net) Rack Palette architectural touch screen classes

Post by RobertBell » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:58 pm

I built this VB.Net class (DLL) so you can add toolbox items to your VB.Net design environment. You will need to have VB.Net 2008 installed (the Express edition is great and FREE (imagine that – a free product from MS). You can d/l it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/
I’ve used this DLL when I needed to build an architectural touch panel to connect to a Rack Palette system. It includes:
  • A button object to mimic a Variable in Rack Palette
  • A fader handle to connect to a Sub Master
  • A channel mimic (pie chart or bar chart) to show and set the level of a fixture
  • A Non-Dim toggle indicator
All items are fully bi-directional where applicable. The main form you build will need one (1) EngineQueryTimer control which will communicate with Rack Palette and service the objects on the form. You essentially have to write NO CODE to build these forms. All you need to do is associate the class (right click on toolbox and Choose Items… Browse … .Net Framework Components and find the DLL) then drag and drop controls on the form and set their properties. Compile and distribute.
The attached image shows (roughly) how it’s done.
HCI VBDotNet Class.JPG
HCI VBDotNet Class.JPG (133.11 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Attachments
ConsoleConnectionClass.zip
(394.41 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TaineGilliam

Re: (VB.Net) Rack Palette architectural touch screen classes

Post by TaineGilliam » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Robert,

I'd love to see this extended to include:

A color swatch object to show the current color of a fixture as a companion to the level object. Since I'm looking for read only this looks pretty easy to handle modification to the NonDim indicator.

A RadioButton for a variable. Drop several in a GroupBox and choose. My first thought is this is a modification of the Variable button with a different parent but I'm not clear enough on the event programming to sort this one out. The update if the console should change the value is a bit tricky, too.

A ComboBox for setting a variable. The developer sets the choices for the ComboBox.Items container in the Properties editor. The 'send' portion looks like it might be pretty simple. The parsing of the 'receive' might be tricky especially if the value returned wasn't a match to any of the list items.

Thanks,
Taine