Node input functionality

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!

Node input functionality

Post by sirsparky » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:35 am

Has anyone else experienced difficulty using the Strand-net Nodes as inputs for auxiliary control consuls? I have thus far had much difficulty in using them as inputs when touring productions have come in with: Hogs, Grand MA's and Elation Control systems. Most recently I have tried to hook in a Grand MA system to a node that I had set up as on input, and got absolutely no DMX response when I plugged the MA in dispute the fact that the line DMX tested good right up to the node. What is more is when I took the DXX line string to the dimmers (where I had to hard wire the via going directly into a terminal block inside the rack, much easer and exceeding more convent than just simply having to plug in to a DMX port on the face of the rack CEM), the the DMX signal got to our dimmers and worked just fine. What I am asking is that is there anything that I have to do to insure that the nodes work as input so I can actually use these nodes as they are meant to be used rather than having to completely bypass them and hard wire in? Do I need to reverse the polarity or run it through an optical isolator or something before I have to connect to it? What? The Hog and MA boards are quite industry standers no and days, so does there DMX signal from them somehow not compatible with the strand net? Cheers.
Scott C. Garey
Master Electrician
Santa Barbara Center for the Performing Arts, Granada Theatre
IATSE Local #442

Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Node input functionality

Post by RobertBell » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:10 am

I can only comment as a user as I don't work for Strand directly. The SN110 nodes do have known problems with certian (valid) flavours of DMX (Hog and GMA included). Putting through an opto will not help as optos faithfully reproduce what they are fed. Some consoles (like ET's Marquee) have special flavours of DMX that are more suited to the SN110.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

Post by amoyer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:48 pm

How do you normally get signal to your dimmers? Is there a node there?
What about using the node to input to the console and using the console to output to the dimmers? (This was discussed in viewtopic.php?f=28&t=982)
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

Post by TaineGilliam » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:53 pm

Robert is correct. There are some speeds of valid DMX that are not properly received by the SN110 node. If your console has a DMX output adjustment, the Palette, Marquee and many ETC consoles do, you may be able to solve the problem there. And while an opto splitter is likely to be of little help, a protocol converter set for DMX to DMX can often correct the problem. We are hopefull this will not be an issue with the soon to be released N21 node.

The grandMA, at least in recent versions of software, can output Strand Shownet directly.

Post by SeanGallagher » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:44 pm

As Taine mentions,

Try altering DMX speed between slow and medium. Hog in particular can benefit from from this.

Configuring multiple discrete Netslots is also highly important. The house console is configured to output universe 1. The visitor INPUT port is netslot 10001. The output node at the rack can be set to merge universes 1 and 10001 as HTP.
Sean Gallagher
The Lux Productions
Sonoma CA