Bugs encounted

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
Harrison

Bugs encounted

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:13 pm

First of all I apologise if someone has already let you know of the bugs on V10. A litt e bit about myself. I'm studying at Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts in England and we have a classic pallete (Silver one). I programmed Nine the musical on the new software and this desk and encounted these problems:

- Tracksheet Crashed the software once, however not the hardware.

- Print to .pdf does not work properly? It will sometimes come up with a few cues and then other times it won't show any information

- MIB was not working properly. I spoke to Amber about this and tried and listened to everything she said about what it could be. What I found happened (From time to time and pretty randomly!) was that my intelligent fixtures would get 'stuck' in a MIB move.. For example: I would be in cue 144 but my moving light would be showing A/B 139 (Even though the moving light was off and should have been moving for 145?) You then execute the next cue and the moving light spins round live to its proper position. Or it would not move at all and not tell you its doing anything before hand in the moving lights attributes.

- You can't type Group 14 (Selection of scrollers) @ Group 12 (Colour on string) (I know it should have been made into a position group but the other production lx didn't know about all the different look pages etc and just put everything under groups. I couldn't just hit group 12 on or @full because then it would move all the scrollers in our rig.

- If I used any button which would open another menu open ie Goto, Copy, Edit etc.. sometimes i would type numbers on the desk and it wouldn't input into the box.. I would then use the keyboard and press enter. Then I would see in the command line all of the numbers I had just tried typing in?

- Five times I had to unplug and replug in the usb connectors from the CPU in the desk to the fader boards.. This was due to the right section of the desk just stopping working. This also happened to me on earlier versions of software.. Could this be a USB PnP Issue of some kind?

- I also found the desk to be slow responding and sometimes would not execute the go exactly when I pressed the button. I don't know anything about building desks but I looked and found that it only contains 256mb of ram. Although its windows xp embedded, I feel that 256mb of ram is not enough for this new software. Saying this, we were using 6 Stagebars, 16 Scrollers, 2 mac 600s, 2 mac 250 e, and a mac 500 on top of the 100+ Generic rig. It would also be slow to respond when opening new boxes to type more text into

- Opening extra windows was a funny issue too. It would open the window but that window from be behind the main screen and you can't even alt tab to it. A bit annoying when I wanted to open up the moving light attribute window and it really didn't like it

- The desk doesn't remember how you leave the window. By this I mean the sizes of all the boxes like the ML Attributes, and all the boxes in the Cue stack. I try to set it up so I can see the Cue number and Action with no label showing.. The Desk does not remember how I set it

If you need to know anything else, Id be more than happy to give you more information. I love using the desk and Its definately my desk of choice when I leave university to go and program in the industry.

Harrison Cooke
Harrison Cooke - Programmer/Production LX - http://www.harrisoncooke.com

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Bugs encounted

Post by RobertBell » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:33 pm

Harrison wrote:I programmed Nine the musical on the new software and this desk and encounted these problems:
Nice to meet you and have you here. Thanks
Tracksheet Crashed the software once, however not the hardware.
I've seen this myself once. I can't reporduce it. As you are probably well aware: If you can reproduce a bug, it's normally as good as fixed. If you could help us any further on this, please do.
Print to .pdf does not work properly? It will sometimes come up with a few cues and then other times it won't show any information
Printing cue lables and times (not data) should work, but I would not be suprised if it didn't work 100% now. I know printing patch is completely off.
MIB was not working properly.
This is new information to me. Again, your show file (and a cue number) would be great. If you don't want to post here, e-mail to support@horizoncontrol.com.
You can't type Group 14 (Selection of scrollers) @ Group 12 (Colour on string)
Right. [@] [GROUP] doesn't work. We're trying to get people to use the palettes, so [@] [S6-Colour] does work (but as you said, you would need to record the colours in there first).
..sometimes i would type numbers on the desk and it wouldn't input into the box..
See your (and my) comment below about the hardware.
Five times I had to unplug and replug in the usb connectors from the CPU in the desk to the fader boards
We think we've fixed this. Please contact Strand and ask about the new XPE build with the power saving options turned off.
I also found the desk to be slow responding and sometimes would not execute the go exactly when I pressed the button. I don't know anything about building desks but I looked and found that it only contains 256mb of ram. Although its windows xp embedded, I feel that 256mb of ram is not enough for this new software. Saying this, we were using 6 Stagebars, 16 Scrollers, 2 mac 600s, 2 mac 250 e, and a mac 500 on top of the 100+ Generic rig. It would also be slow to respond when opening new boxes to type more text into
Can't argue with you. Will bring it to the attention of Strand.
Opening extra windows was a funny issue too.

It's really intened for use with two monitors. You would have to NORMALIZE the main window and arrange them with the mouse to use both on one monitor.
The desk doesn't remember how you leave the window.
We know about this. It's better than it was in earlier version, but we still have some work to do.
I love using the desk and Its definately my desk of choice when I leave university to go and program in the industry.
This is nice to hear. Thank you.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

Harrison

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:40 pm

RobertBell wrote: Print to .pdf does not work properly? It will sometimes come up with a few cues and then other times it won't show any information

Printing cue lables and times (not data) should work, but I would not be suprised if it didn't work 100% now. I know printing patch is completely off

We found that neither worked.. I will post the showfile for people to look at.
RobertBell wrote: MIB was not working properly.

This is new information to me. Again, your show file (and a cue number) would be great. If you don't want to post here, e-mail to support@horizoncontrol.com.
Again this was a pretty random occurance, and would only happen totally out of the blue. And yes it will be hard for you to find this issue if it doesn't happen because of certain parameters

Harrison

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Apologies for the show file. Its all over the place in some parts, mainly due to the fact we had two production lxs (Myself and another) who program in completely opposite ways. I also used this show to familiarise myself with the different ways you can do things with this software. Unfortunately the other prod lx who did a lot of pre programming didn't know about all the new profiles for colours in intelligent fixtures which I really wanted to use.
Attachments
Nine Final.spf
(58.81 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Shame he never picked up on the Colour Look page with all the default filtering already set up. I also noticed you never used the Col Time coloumn (or any others like Pos, Gobo etc.). This is very powerful, but maybe you never had any live moves. Still poking around with your show and MIB. Thanks
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

Harrison

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:01 pm

Yeh it is. I was excited getting my hands on this new software but I never really told the other prod lx all the new things you could do. I told him all this after we had plotted and programmed as we never had time to set it up again. I'm going to try to introduce the colour position look pages when I work with the lighting designer again as I would have found it easier to go 1 @ Position 3 @ Colour 4 instead of group. The ld did love how you can give everything its own time but I guess we never had need for anything other than position and intensity times. Yes, move in black was used 99% of the time apart from some "Camera Flashes"

Harrison

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:11 pm

Just to add. If it helps, I do recall it mainly happening when updates to cues had been done before hand. We would come in early in the day to alter some cues and when running the show the same night we would have Mib issues. It would not happen on every cue, but just randomly occuring.. Maybe its when cues around the MIB had been updated did they start sticking.. That could be a possibility

Harrison

Post by Harrison » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:07 pm

Did you manage to find anything yet? I will try and re create the issue when I get some free time with the show file!