Release after adjusting and storing position look

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
gooze

Release after adjusting and storing position look

Post by gooze » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:12 am

If you have a cue with some movinglights in a positionpalette and you wuld have to adjust the moving lights, there is something not completely right on the display side of things. As you adjust the lights, the name of the positionlook disapears and is replaced by the degrees for pan and tilt. You are happy with your new position and press: [UPDATE][GROUP[PL]]#[ENTER], the position attributes are still in red, but the positionname is there again. Now you press release, because the next cue is coming and you don’t want the position to stay captured. The lights will now move back to their old positions and the name is displayed in light blue. If you re-run the cue it appears to have the correct value (new position). Confusing and undesirable...
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Release after adjusting and storing position look

Post by RobertBell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 pm

This is what was asked for by many. They (BTW) don't release after an update and don't hold DELTA VALUES. There was much debate about this and I believe it is working as many have asked for.

What you are seeing is that your raw values are put (successfully) into the existing position palette and the updated position palette is applied live because you may want to record it elsewhere. Then you release it, before asserting the current cue, so the last fade done was using the stale data - so the lights return to that stale position.

This is not an issue if you use the UPDATE DIALOG BOX and check off the position you altered. Magic update on the command line will ultimately work as desired too.

FYI - on 500 you could be sitting in Cue 0, apply a GROUP (what we call a palette), tweak the values, then do an update. This s/w can't do that. We can only suggest to update things that are already coming from cues or subs - not live captured things.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

gooze

Post by gooze » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:51 am

The thing is that it shouldn't display the position text, but the raw values. Than you know you are in a different state. It is also annoying that if you have carefully adjusted your lights during a performance because someone choose to put the set at antoher position and you update the position for the remaining part of the show. You cannot press release then without your lights change back to their old position.

Besides if I assert the same cue my lights start jumping around so that's something I can't do too.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:46 am

What do you mean 'jumping around'. I don't believe/understand that.

If you update the position then manually re-assert the cue (if your show options are set not to do it for you), then the light will fade from where it is to where it should be (which in this case is the same place). The end result is nothing on the stage changes.

FYI - We DO put the updated palette name in as a delta and knock out the raw data because if you're building things from scratch, it is VERY nice to grab a light, position it, then press [REC] [POS] {ENTER] [REC] [ENTER]. Then your new cue is using the new position and you didn't have to do any fiddling around. This is very fast!
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

gooze

Post by gooze » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:09 pm

RobertBell wrote:What do you mean 'jumping around'. I don't believe/understand that.
See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=571&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
RobertBell wrote:This is what was asked for by many. They (BTW) don't release after an update and don't hold DELTA VALUES. There was much debate about this and I believe it is working as many have asked for.
But if you do release then you end up with a non-existing cue state on stage, but with the correct position label. That shouldn't happen. You cannot see that you are looking at something which isn't correct. If you realease you should see the raw position data instead of the labels, because the lights are not on that position anymore.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Robert,

I agree that many asked for the described behavior and to me it is good. I agree the raw data should be replaced by the preset text after the palette update but still in delta color until the cue update.

The real trick here is the selective assert - fixtures 1/5 have update preset position and I want to assert that. But 7/9 have updated raw data that does not want to be asserted over, at least not for several more cues. Alternately, where is our "Hold" command?
RobertBell wrote:FYI - on 500 you could be sitting in Cue 0, apply a GROUP (what we call a palette), tweak the values, then do an update. This s/w can't do that. We can only suggest to update things that are already coming from cues or subs - not live captured things.
This is something I would definitely like to see return. Probably not to big of an issue if Record(Merge) is available. It does limit cue-less editing of nested presets.

Taine

gooze

Post by gooze » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:08 pm

TaineGilliam wrote:I agree that many asked for the described behavior and to me it is good. I agree the raw data should be replaced by the preset text after the palette update but still in delta color until the cue update.
Then press release and the preset text is still showing the text of the updated positions, but the lights on stage are not on that positions. Delta's disapear, so there is absolutely nothing thats suggesting a difference between what you see on stage and what your monitor is showing you. Am I really the only one bothered by such thing?
Your display should be a representation of what you see on stage. If not it should be clearly indicated. ("Behold, you're in blind!" for example).