Save show weirdness

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
gooze

Save show weirdness

Post by gooze » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:08 pm

After setting the amount of checkpoint files to keep at 5 and the intervall at 5 minutes, make a backup in the show folder and save to a mirror location (my memory stick). I started up the console the next day. (It did install the software again?? Strange in itself. So I had an empty showfile). I loaded my showfile, but it appeared to be a very old version. I had to load a checkpoint file of which only one existed.
A lot of work was missing. Als not on the mirror location! I did saves in between! Very strange!
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

AlanMartello
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA

Re: Save show weirdness

Post by AlanMartello » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:33 pm

If the software update was on your key, that was why it was installed again.
When it's on D:\, we simply move it to SavedInstalls. When it's on a key, we don't like to delete it.
Regarding the other issues, can't immediately comment.
Alan Martello, Ph.D. - System Architect - Horizon Control Inc.

gooze

Post by gooze » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:41 am

This morning I was watching the console start up. I saw what happened a bit more clearly. I checked if there was any reference of the software installation program on the d: drive, which there wasn't. My memory stick was not in the machine.
It started up. Then had the control panel (where I could see in a flash the red line saying Installing new software, but I'm not sure) Then the pop-up: Restart S/W? I clicked yes, Then the software starts whith the outputs disabled.
What could be wrong here?

RobertBell
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:39 pm

I if you got the red line saying installing new s/w, it seems there may be a signed exe on d:\ or one of your sticks. Check the Strand dongle stick - maybe there is something on it.

If you got the restart s/w dialog box, that means Palette started running, then stopped responding. Maybe click on the button in the control panel that says NEW SHOW (under the normal Palette button). This ensures that no show is loaded. There may be a show file problem. If you find a troublesome show file - please e-mail it to support@horizoncontrol.com.

Sorry
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:05 pm

Yikes. I wasn't even aware you could do the update straight from a key at boot. What is looked for where on the key to trigger this? Perhaps a confirmation dialog would be in order to prevent accidental up/down grades? There have certainly been times I've had multiple versions of the software and/or shell on my key - I guess I've benn lucky enough not to boot with the key installed.

Taine

gooze

Post by gooze » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:59 am

There was nothing on the stick anymore, nothing on any other drive other than savedinstalls.

It gets worse, but also more clear. This morning I started he desk and it started with a crash, just after the Palette splash screen. It said it was making a dump file, but I cannot find it. After a restart of the software it loaded in my last show, but there was something really strange. Although I ended with hitting the SaveShow (through S8, not the filemenu), and I am pretty shure I did this also a couple of times during the evening, the saved show was from 13:25, there were only checkpoint files available for the times I did save the show.

Again my settings are: to autosave every 5 minutes and to keep 5 checkpoint files. Also I activated mirrorsave to save on my memorystick, which didn't happen at all.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Under S11-Status - chose History and see if it's doing the saves (there should be an entry). Then look in Windows Explorer to check that date and time. Let us know.

gooze

Post by gooze » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:26 am

I have the feeling that it deletes the saved show with the start-up crash and then loads the backup, which can be older than the most recent checkpointfile. In the history it says it did the save.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:31 am

FYI - we NEVER delete *.spf 's

Upon successful exit of a session, we do delete the *.spc files (as you don't want to see one may be newer than your show file and load that when you show file is perfectly good)

gooze

Post by gooze » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:57 am

I think this happens when you load a show from a memorystick and then remove the memorystick. If the show was originally created on the console and you look at the safe show location in {Show options} and to the mirror save location everything looks correct. It even says Show saved 0 minutes ago after you press {S8 Save Show}. But in fact nothing happens!
I think there should be a big fat warning exclamation mark in the status window, or a pop-up as the one that is used if you load a checkpoint file, saying that you need to do a save as...
Both should be followed up by a reminder if you don't do it. More than once I started working on after loading the checkpoint file and then forgot to Save as... (Maybe another red blinking line in the status area?)