Bump Chase Broken 10.8.3

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
MattKlasmeier

Bump Chase Broken 10.8.3

Post by MattKlasmeier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:14 pm

I found an interesting glitch with bump chase effects. The bump chase effect works correctly on it's own but does not work within a cue. To make the problem more interesting it does not work with the go button but will work when the step button is used . Shift go works but causes an unusual fade. The lights in the effect that are not on in one of the steps will freeze at a level until the effect has cycled. The same behavior happens with stopping the effect within a cue. The issue looks to be the way that go asserts or does not assert. I have included a sample show file.
Attachments
Bump Chase Test.spf
Bump Chase Test
(35.59 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

MickCrozier
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Bump Chase Broken 10.8.3

Post by MickCrozier » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:42 am

Bump Chases work very differently to normal chases.

normally you set the levels, select the fixtures and create an intensity effect. The effect is stopped by an alteration to those fixtures.
The fixture gets told it has to something else - killing the effect

Bump chases just hit the bump buttons on the looks which gives them a true HTP advantage.
There is no fixture info in the cue to alter to make it stop. Unless you assert a cue and the console doesn't reload it. I'm guessing it doesn't start on the Go because it not supposed to be able to do it. (Really - the computer should say no when you try to record it)

bump chases are designed to be activated via macros - psuedo 500 style. Rather than recording the chase to the cue - record it to a look. In the cue use a macro to bring the look up. When you want it to stop - use a macro in the cue to fade it to 0.
Check out Look Effect Assistant. It's a set of macro scripts to make using pre-made effects - such as bump chases, much faster.
Formerly Durisian (who died peacefully of digital old age)

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:25 pm

I agree with Matt - there is something very strange going with this - the difference between STEP, ASSERT and GO for cues with Bump chases is very strange. It gets stranger if the bump chase is part of the first cue and there are no other channels on...

Let us know if you need more samples of the oddity.

MickCrozier
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Melbourne, Australia

Post by MickCrozier » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Formerly Durisian (who died peacefully of digital old age)

gooze

Post by gooze » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:36 am

I think there is something more. Have a look at this topic as well. It could use a bump anyway, because there was no reaction on it :(
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.