10.6.6 Apollo right arms getting lost

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
gafftaper
Primary Venue / Use: Other School
Where I Am: Washington State

10.6.6 Apollo right arms getting lost

Post by gafftaper » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:20 am

I'm using a classic palette (silver edition). I've got 10.6.6. I've got two Apollo Right Arms acting really weird on me. Both are set in mode 6 and using a mode 6 profile. I'm not sure if the problem is on the Strand end or the Apollo end so I'm contacting both of you.

Symptom one. I program the two right arms to go move through a series of locations. When I play them back they get lost and don't go to the right places.

Symptom two... or possibly the source of problem one. There's a clear problem with the tilt. The max tilt is 135 degrees. Occasionally, When "driving" the Arm into position, the arm will start to tilt down close to 135 degrees, then suddenly it snaps back up to around 90 degrees. Once this happens it will not tilt back down to 135, even though the board says that's what I'm telling it to do. If I tilt it back up to 0 then down to 135 two or three times it suddenly works for a while. Then suddenly snap back to where it was up around 90 degrees.

A few more details. I own four Right arms. On the previous show (using 10.6.6) I used a third Right Arm with no problems. The two that are now acting weird were not used in that show. Both right arms are connected directly to a dmx node and are the only device on their own side of that node.

Thanks!
Don't Worry. I've screwed up bigger shows than this!

gooze

Re: 10.6.6 Apollo right arms getting lost

Post by gooze » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:28 am

I am suspecting, the problem is in your Apollo's... But check one thing: is there anything like a swap pan/tilt or invert pan/invert tilt selected in patch? That could cause trouble in some cases.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

gafftaper

Post by gafftaper » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Not that I know of but I can check. Seems to me that the problem is more likely on the Strand end since two of them are acting weird.
Don't Worry. I've screwed up bigger shows than this!

DebraCecil

Post by DebraCecil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Have you tried addressing all of your units to the same address and see if they operate the same? If they all don't work exactly the same when addressed to the same address, you have an issue with DMX distribution or the fixtures themselves.

gafftaper

Post by gafftaper » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks, great idea. I won't be in there until Friday so I'm trying to put together a list of things to try.

MattKlasmeier

Post by MattKlasmeier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:06 pm

I would look at the right arm being the issue. Not that the Right Arm isn't working but it may not be setup properly. Getting the weight and counterbalance set correctly is very important. If it is heavy in one direction it may cause the unit to loose its position when it tilts in one direction and then moves back. If it is too heavy the unit can slip or "snap" when trying to move to a new position. This will then make any additional positions to be off. The other item to look at is ensure that all the cables are clear and long enough to allow a full range of motion.