Offline Editor - Can't see menus

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
kb8qew
Primary Venue / Use: Other School
Where I Am: Bowling Green, Ohio

Offline Editor - Can't see menus

Post by kb8qew » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm having an issue with the offline editor. When I mouse over the menu bar at the top - the brown bar highlights but I cannot see the menus, the close box, or min/maximize buttons. I see on the far right a tiny scroll up and down. It's almost like the menu bar has been compressed.

Not being able to see the menus is very frustrating.

I've changing the resolution of the display to no avail.

See attached screenshot to see what I mean.

What and I missing?
Thanks for any help,
Shawn
PalletOLE.JPG
Offline editor screen shot
PalletOLE.JPG (152.71 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

gooze

Re: Offline Editor - Can't see menus

Post by gooze » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:16 am

Looks like you've set a custom typefont or typefontsize or a custom menubar size in windows screen preferences. Maybe you should try to set those at a closer to default setting.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

willarki

Post by willarki » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 pm

I get the same when running a remote video session. But worse than that is moving the mouse into the menu bar returns an error and the s/w quits immediately. OLE has not previously been installed on this notebook as it is brand new so there will be no existing settings for fonts etc. Was initially thinking it had something to do with Windows 7 64bit but have not had a chance for more exhaustive testing. That said however, if I kept my hand off the mouse it worked as it should.

btw running 10.6.4
What I need are programmable, limited distance photons. That'll show the set designer that illuminators are superior!

Classic Palette 1
cheers, Mike

kb8qew
Primary Venue / Use: Other School
Where I Am: Bowling Green, Ohio

Post by kb8qew » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:19 pm

Looks like you've set a custom typefont or typefontsize or a custom menubar size in windows screen preferences. Maybe you should try to set those at a closer to default setting.
Thanks for the replies. I am using windows defaults for the above - I even tried making some changes to the defaults but it made no difference to the OLE.

I'm curious - what is the name of the font that is used by the OLE?

Is there any command line entry that I could use to reset the geometry of the windows? i.e. (in a windows command line shell) pallet.exe -command

Thanks,
Shawn

MickCrozier
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Remote Video Error

Post by MickCrozier » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:31 pm

willarki wrote:But worse than that is moving the mouse into the menu bar returns an error and the s/w quits
Been discussing this in the beta section here
Unfortunatley this error only appears for a few people - the boys at horizon are unable to reproduce it.

I've got a few systems hooked up for remote - only one of them crashes
A not ideal but workable solution is to not maximise it. Just drag it to the top corner and resize the window to fill the screen.

As a matter of interest what are the specs of the remote pc?

edit: Remote and OLE Crashing Thread
Last edited by MickCrozier on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Durisian (who died peacefully of digital old age)

willarki

Post by willarki » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 pm

kb8qew wrote:A not ideal but workable solution is to not maximise it. Just drag it to the top corner and resize the window to fill the screen.
It could be a screen resolution issue. I have noticed with other software packages in the past that odd resolutions can cause similar. I'll try a different resolution this evening.

I'm the "audio sheila" for this production but wanted to test connectivity of my new laptop.
kb8qew wrote:As a matter of interest what are the specs of the remote pc?
Laptop is a Dell Studio 16 XPS, core i7, 8gb RAM, HD screen (1920 x 1080) running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
What I need are programmable, limited distance photons. That'll show the set designer that illuminators are superior!

Classic Palette 1
cheers, Mike

gooze

Post by gooze » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:59 am

Your resolution correspond to 1366 by 768, but if you do the math, it's off by about three pixels. It could be that either windows or palette os can not deal with this rounding error very well. It could also be that the software was never tested at such a high resolution. Maybe you should try lowering your resolution to a somewhat more common 1366x768.
The exit bug is another issue I believe.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

willarki

Post by willarki » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Tried with every resolution i could think of and no difference. However, if not maximised, at least it doesn't crash. Although still only see a half height menu bar but the menus do work, if you get your mouse in the right position. Would be really nice if the OLE re-opened to the same size it was when last closed.

Classic Palette 1
cheers, Mike

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Ask Darren Irving at Bytecraft to drop in the next time they do their service calls in Canberra.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd