GO button locked

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
gooze

Re: GO button locked

Post by gooze » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:24 am

I would follow John's advice if you haven't already done so. If you already did, maybe you should bring the desk in. Working with unreliable hardware during a show is a bit scary, isn't it?
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:16 am

OK, I need more help finding the log files. I looked on the D drive and I only see show files, show archives, or saved installs.
Can anyone give me a more specific guide for what I'm looking for?
Are the logs in the zip file I posted? unfortunately I have trouble opening it.
The console has been restarted three times since the problem.
If we can find the logs, maybe we can establish that the panel disconnecting is indeed what is happening.

As for bringing the board in, I'm in the run of a show and don't have a backup console. And I'd probably have to send it to California.

DebraCecil

Post by DebraCecil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 am

An easier way to see if your hardware is rebooting, as opposed to finding your system text log, is to check hardware status under help. The window that pops up will show you all tiles attached. After a description of the tile, such as playback, you will see #/#/#/#. The final number is the number of times the tile has rebooted. As for the logs, they would have been in the file you posted, that is an executable. The "click to send" file that the console generates is a file you should actually double-click to send the log file, show file, and pertinent info to Horizon. I typically catch that is a tile is rebooting because the LEDs go on/off. Too many reboots will cause the console to lock and crash.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:16 pm

About the Click to Send file... I just get an application error message when I click it.
And I was not allowed to post the executable file on the forum. I have it on my desktop though.

Debra, when you refer to the tile rebooting, is that the same as the disconnecting/connecting that John described?

I just checked hardware status and it says: Classic Palette Playback 3/273/198415/1
The problem was yesterday and the console has been rebooted three times since then, so I suppose it wouldn't show up now.

DebraCecil

Post by DebraCecil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Yes, when I say reboot, it is the same as John talking about connecting/disconnecting. Classic Palette Playback 3/273/198415/1. The last digit is one meaning that since the console has been running, the tile has not rebooted. Every time you restart the software or console, the count will begin again. Normal is 1 because of the original boot. Check it after you find the go button fails. If the go button doesn't work and the LEDs aren't on, Classic Palette Playback probably won't even be listed under hardware status, when it comes back online you should see Classic Palette Playback 3/273/198415/2 because it rebooted. No matter what, you will likely need to involve your local service center or dealer.

gooze

Post by gooze » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:49 am

I just got a report that my Palette VL16 has behaved the same on a production. It happened only once, a reboot solved the problem. The whole right side of the desk didn't work including encoder wheels. When they tried to reboot there was an error message on shutting down. They will send me a photo of the the screen. I will post it as soon as they do.
They reported also - I don't know if this is related (it could as well be an accidental mouseclick) - that the desk booted into another cuelist then the main cuelist.

Theory: could it be that if you click the mouse during the initialization of the tiles, the desk doesn't recognize them correctly because the usb bus is too busy? Someone would have to try this out with an actual desk (mine is rented out at the moment)
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:16 pm

This happened again today, at approximately 1:25 pm. We had not yet opened the house, so I was able to reboot the console. There were only 2 logs with today's date, attached.
When I attempted to shut down, I got the "system is not responding" message; I clicked End Program which resulted in blue screen, so I did a hard shutdown. Exactly as the other times this has happened. (It occurred to me that perhaps we are losing some info to the log because I have to do a hard shutdown? )
This time I do see a series of entries at 13:15 involving the Panel.
Attachments
System-2.log
(72.94 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
System-1.log
(62.04 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:53 pm

I think we have good news to report. We've been working all week looking at missed keys on 010 processors with 256 MB of Ram (like yours Barb). We've found something that may have been there since July of 2009. We'll continue to test this week and hopefully post a fix soon.
Sorry for the troubles. Yours and other reports have led us to this fix. Thank you.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Thank you Robert! That's encouraging.

Are you suspecting that issue (missed keys) is related to losing the GO button? (actually the entire left side, as I described.) I have been considering these as two different issues (contrary to Occam's razor :? ).

It still seems inconclusive whether the hardware needs servicing. I'm assuming that's a possibility until there's more information.

Thank you for working to solve this!

tferr
Primary Venue / Use: University
Where I Am: Student at Kutztown University

Post by tferr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Our today stopped responding like yours did the second time. It seemed to have come back up after a hard restart (ours didn't shutdown either). You can run the go button if you have a mouse, did enable the playback buttons above the cue list. It saved me during our last show.
Tyler Ferrero- Lighting Assistant at Kutztown University
Classic Palette (Silver)