GO button locked

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
barbarab

GO button locked

Post by barbarab » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Anyone have any idea why the A/B GO button would become unresponsive on a classic Palette? This happened yesterday during a show; STEP buttons would not respond either. Fortunately "GoTO cue # in Time" worked, clicking on the cuelist with the mouse worked, and the keyboard spacebar worked. GO remained unresponsive until after the event, when I rebooted the console and then it worked normally. I had to do a hard shutdown because I got "Program is not responding" and then blue screen when I attempted to shut down through control panel.
Anyone else had this happen, and is there anything I could have done to cause it? Thanks

gooze

Re: GO button locked

Post by gooze » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:29 pm

What software version are you running and on which console? Did you have any other programs running on the desk (such as century array). Did you have any other programs connect to the console via Ethernet (such as remote video or remote palette)?
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

gooze

Post by gooze » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Things you can always try are: clicking the commandline with the mouse or pressing undo and clear several times in random succession.
Also have a look at the windows activity monitor to see what other programs are running (in the background) or to see what your CPU usage is. Anything above 60% should be suspicious. Especially if you are not running multiple effects with hundreds of fixtures patched.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:40 pm

10.6.2 on silver classic palette.
No other programs running.
Our stage managers do use walkie-talkies but they've been doing that for years and this has never happened.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Walki-Talkies can cause problems on the LP series, but not know to on the Classic Palette series.
Seems very weird to me that GO didn't work, but GOTO did. Goozes' suggestions are bang on, but contrary to GO vs. GOTO. Has me scratching my head.
Please keep us posted if it happens again.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:30 pm

The "GO" button sits on the left hand PCB, and the "GOTO" function sits on the right hand panel. I think the panel disconnected.

Manually check the log files that the computer creates using Notepad, and look for the USB panels being "disconnected". If the panel is faulty, you will see it locked in a loop of connecting and disconnecting.

If you see no evidence of this in the log file, you can double check by simply leaving the console running overnight. I have seen evidence of this fault simply "commencing" after a few hours of operation.

The next morning, your log file for the current session will be significantly larger then any other log file. Open the file and it will tell you what is happening.

In that text, if you see the USB in a loop of disconection and reconnection, it is a hardware fault.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks John... how do I find the log? This happened last Sunday, so 5 days ago.
Console was on all day yesterday for an event, and it didn't recur.
I have installed 10.6.3 and started a new show file. I'd like to determine if I have a hardware issue though. Thanks.

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:37 pm

the system logs are just text files that are placed (I think) in the D drive. There should be ten of them, so depending on the number of times you restarted Palette, your big issue of five days ago could be gone.

Visually check the USB cables inside the console for any kind of stress just as being cable tied too tighty so that the external plastic of the cable is visible damaged. If you see anything like that, just replace the cable. They are "off the shelf" cables, but do get good quality ones. Check to see that all cables are firly seated in their sockets.

If the PCB itself is damaged, then this is not likely to be an intermittant problem - chances are that it will be persistant.

I have seen PCB failures happen in consoles where there was some known power spike that cooincided with the first instance of the console acting silly. The spike or low voltage killed the PCB. Be sure to put a trusted UPS over the power supply to the console to eliminate the future potential of that little problem.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:23 pm

This just occurred again TODAY. Same as before, GO does not respond, STEP keys don't respond, no faders respond.
Spacebar and GOTO work.
I'm posting my log file if that helps...
Attachments
ClickToSend.zip
(11.83 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

barbarab

Post by barbarab » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Forgot to add... reboot corrected the problem again, but as before, would not shutdown normally... I got "program is not responding" popup, then BSOD. Hard shutdown and restart and it worked normally.
Is this consistent with a hardware fault? If it is locked in a loop, restarting interrupts it?