Palette OLE 10.6.3 program crash

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
mattbinnie
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Scratching my head about this field?

Palette OLE 10.6.3 program crash

Post by mattbinnie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi all

I have just run the 10.6.3 update on my console and 2 laptops that we run as remote palette / remote video.
We rigged on Sunday Day
We focus today, plot tonight, and tech run tomorrow.
This was my experience of 10.6.3:

The update ran fine on the console, however, both laptops running Win XP SP3 one 12 months old, one 3 years old, refused to run OLE 10.6.3. Apon running the newly installed program after a restart it crshed. Please see attached crsh log file:
9c85_appcompat.txt
Palette 10.6.3 OLE Crash log file
(39.88 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
I won't even pretend to understand it, but that is what it told me it did. Both laptops did this. So I tried to uninstall the software and go back to 10.6.2. After I had done this the OLE would still not run, saying theat Horizons Control had a problem with msvbvm60.dll. At this point I was very unimpressed. I have now after 4 hours toil managed to roll back one laptop using a system restore point, the other is still broken.

Before you run 10.6.3 OLE create a fresh system resore point on your laptop, I believe it may be needed to make your OLE run again.

Strand / Horizons: can you look at this issue? This was an extremely stressfull 4 hours, and it is not all fixed yet.

Can anyone else re-create this problem? I would use on old machine you don't care about to test first.

thanks. :evil:

DarrenIrving
Where I Am: Melbourne Australia

Re: Palette OLE 10.6.3 program crash

Post by DarrenIrving » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi Matt,

I have loaded the OLE software onto several laptops and desktops here (all IBM's running Win XP SP3), so far so good.
Did the crash occur on startup or when loading/editing a show?

Any detailed information including newly installed applications, antivirus etc (other than Palette) would also be useful to know.
I will follow up with the programmers as well.

thanks
Darren
National Service Manager
Bytecraft Entertainment

mattbinnie

Post by mattbinnie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 pm

I ran the install fine, no problems there. Restarted, the machine rebooted with no problems and the Palette OLE then refused to start up, writing the text file that I attached. My 2 laptops are a toshiba and a dell.

The only new application was the palette OLE, but the prevoius versions have been installed for some time.

We run symantec corporate editon v11 as our antivirus, and it has been running fine with the palette OLE for some time. Office 2003 is installed. Both machines have been very reliable to date. I even went as far as re-downloading the installer incase there was an issue with my download, but both times it said that it had installed fine.

Is the likely cause that you now have only one build of the OLE, not the 2 versions as with all prevoius software releases?

thanks

DarrenIrving
Where I Am: Melbourne Australia

Post by DarrenIrving » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi Matt,

Not sure what you mean regarding your last statement "Is the likely cause that you now have only one build of the OLE, not the 2 versions as with all prevoius software releases?"

There are two programs, one is the software pack for the console (Palette OS V10.6.3), the second is the OLE (Off Line Editor V10.6.3).
Can you double check it is the OLE that you are installing and not the Palette Program file.

thanks
Darren
National Service Manager
Bytecraft Entertainment

mattbinnie

Post by mattbinnie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:59 am

In V10.6.2 there was an OLE for XP and one for Vista, two seperate builds, as the OS environment is very different with different file paths.

V10.6.3 there is only one copy of the OLE for download.

I can not even see 10.6.2 available for download any more.

DebraCecil

Post by DebraCecil » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:58 am

Old versions of software are still available for download from the Strand website under support or under product downloads for Palette. http://www.strandlighting.com/index.php ... s&submenu=

You are correct in that the OLE has consolidated XP, Vista, and Windows 7 32 bit versions into one build. This was a change from 10.6.2.

I'm sure that the Horizon guys can assist with the OLE errors. You can email the Horizon team directly if need be at support@horizoncontrol.com.

golights

Post by golights » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:35 am

The OLE XP is not listed any more for 10.6.2. The only listing for 10.6.2 OLE is marked vista 32.

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:39 pm

It's likely this is a permissions problem, or a problem with the Locale (Language) being used in that particular copy of XP.

Try setting the locale of the machine to EN-US and ensuring that the user that is installing has FULL administrator rights.

It's also important that the folder being installed into is not write protected or otherwise protected by group policy ( in the case of XP Pro).

The installing user must also have full access to the XP registry as many things need to be registered during the installation.
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.