DMX flavor problem?

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
Kuni

Re: DMX flavor problem?

Post by Kuni » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi there,
in the past we have also a problem with the following enviroment in a installation: GrandMA light control a e:cue System (this working as a media server for a bigger LED-Installation with 32DMX-Universes).
The DMX-Trigger for controling the e:cue system doesn´t work correctly and after long time search we found that the MA sends the DMX with 39HZ out of the MA and only 28Hz from the NSP...
We solve the problem with the DMX ReTimer from XTBA (Distributed in USA from Bob Goddards, I thing). With this unit you can change the DMX Output in different ways (eg. slower, faster) and that very easy in the setup. The ReTimer "reads" the input with different speeds and generate a new DMX-Output with only one speed. Now we have no more probs with this installation.
May be this is a good solution for a roadhouse with different incoming shows...
............kuni................................
pimpedPalette VL16, Soft V10.8.5

jgoss
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Miami, Florida USA

Post by jgoss » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:54 pm

When Wicked was in a year and half ago we had DMX incompatibility issues from their GrandMA into the SN110 nodes. We ended up having to totally bypass the Shownet network & go directly into the CD80 racks. If I remember correctly the data was actually coming from a NSP, and not out of the back of the console.
We have had several other shows come in with a GrandMA and have not had any problem with the DMX signal out of the back of the console going into our SN110 nodes.
(Except for the show when all of a sudden my entire FOH rig (~200 S4 750's) came on for no reason - even though the show only had about 30 lights patched. We never figured out why that happened, but it went away.)
I've never had a GrandMA with the Shownet 'patch' and have it spit out data directly into the network, so I can't comment on how that works out.
Jon Goss
Head Electrician, Ballet Opera House
Arsht Center for Performing Arts
Miami, FL

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:27 pm

We have a venue with a GrandMA and NSP setup and have also noticed there is a difference between the actual console output and the NSP output. This has even affected a long string of Pathway eDIN relay cards.

As for the N21, it is pretty much the same as the C21 dimmer rack when it comes to what it will send/receive. Much more stable than the SN110. There is still the problem of Ultra fast refresh rates that are possible with really small packets(Strand 100, default channel mode of Strand 301...) but that is pretty easy to avoid.

I'm curious if the "dropout" was from the N21 or the Palette and Gary's right - wireshark will tell.

BTW- Gary, new Shownet, Pathport disectors for the current wireshark?

Taine

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Not really DMX flavour issue, but along the lines of the other stuff we have been talking about; we were experiencing some lag issues today with inputs from a Compulite Vector Orange into the N21 node. I managed to get a capture of the network data with Wireshark and forwarded that off to Gary for analysis.

When this finally works, it will be great to be able to easily take what we have patched, including our moving lights, and just give the touring console a DMX line to be able to input to our console for control of whatever we want. Unfortunately for tonight, we have had to run a DMX line direct from our moving lights straight to the touring console :(
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:19 pm

I guess this is kind of a bump.

We have another show in, this time with an ETC Insight 2, and am running into the same issue with lag into the console. I also tried patching into fixtures rather then looks and it made no difference. If I open the Shownet network application I can clearly see in some cases where I fade out a channel on the Insight (I see it's level go away on the Shownet network app) and a second or two later I see the level go away on the Light Palette screen. Clearly looks like an issue with the Palette OS to me. I can take another network snapshot with Wireshark if it would help.
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:41 pm

A snapshot would be good. Send it over. It'll at least tell me that all of the changes are making it into the N21.

Was it a constant lag?
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Also, try patching to outputs -- that takes the most direct path through the console. No resolution to be done through the fixture patch.

Let me know if this is at least faster.
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm testing now from a CP outputing ShowNet to a system recieving it and making DMX through a quad dmx board then I look at it on the other side othe the XLR5 with a DMXtr. It's dead fast.
Maybe it has to do with how many you're sending in or the amount of fiddling around (is it a simple range?)
Maybe your show file - and I'll test here.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:04 pm

We are inputting DMX into a node rather then into the quad DMX. I suppose that we could try that too.
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:28 pm

No - don't. It probably doesn't work in that version.
DMX into the node puts shownet on the wire and I'm just using a desk to put shownet on the wire. Six and two threes. I was testing essentially the same thing as you. Give me your show file so I can see the number of input mappings and I'll mimic that here.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.