S4 Revolutions

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
Post Reply
User avatar
Harrison
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Uk
Contact:

S4 Revolutions

Post by Harrison » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:45 pm

Hey guys. Been programming two shows with revolutions lately and came across a few problems with its personality

1: left right top bottom thrust (For the shutters) are wrong. (This includes angles)

Left = Top
Right = Bottom
Top = Left
Bottom = Right

2: you cant assign a scroller profile to a revolution and use it properly as the personality seems to have a stock scroller colour profile on it and if the string you have on your revolution has more frames than the stock scroller profile you can't access the last lot of colours

3: All forms of resetting and recal do not work either

Cheers
Harrison Cooke - Programmer/Production LX - http://www.harrisoncooke.com

User avatar
BrianEvans
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:11 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: S4 Revolutions

Post by BrianEvans » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:28 pm

As far as the shutters, most likely you are running an old version.
The S4 Revolution has been tested by others.
The current library was modified 3/26/2008.
If you are indeed running the latest library and the shutters are still not correct,
I am always more then happy to square things up.
Just keep in mind, the standard hang position for a fixture is first electric pointed at the cyc,
Tilt must have a positive value (say +90 degrees), pan doesn't matter, so if the fixture is hung backward,
just set pan to +180 degrees.)


As far as the color, if you are trying to create a custom color list,
you need to create a "Wheel Profile", not a color profile.

Maybe the functionality of the 2 in the future will change, but right now,
ANY color or gobo list in a fixture is always a wheel profile,
if the fixture already has colors and not a linear 0 to 100% value.
(scrolls don't exist in the fixture library.)
IE: a generic scroller dimmer would use a color profile, becuase it has a 0 to 100% linear value.

As far as reset, you need to set the control channel to "Reset" etc.,
for 3 seconds, then immediatley set it back to "Idle".

Hope that helps!
Good luck!
Brian Evans - System Specialist - Horizon Control Inc.

User avatar
JohnGrimshaw
Posts: 1233
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:51 pm
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: S4 Revolutions

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:57 pm

Regarding resetting - with so many different fixtures requiring different combinations of Set to reset, hold for x sec, return to idle...

It would be nice if the Abstract model extended to the reset, lamp on and lamp off commands. So, if you tell the Palette console to reset XYZ lamp, the console does the DMX trickery to make that happen.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

User avatar
BrianEvans
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:11 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: S4 Revolutions

Post by BrianEvans » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:05 am

That one has been on the wish list for 5 years.

I have asked for an internal sequencer in the library that allows me to control attributes with timing,
taking the guesswork away from the user.

The Cyberlight is the perfect example of reset drama.
Stand on one foot when mercury alligns with Venus, etc.
Brian Evans - System Specialist - Horizon Control Inc.

User avatar
Harrison
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Uk
Contact:

Re: S4 Revolutions

Post by Harrison » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:07 am

BrianEvans wrote:As far as the shutters, most likely you are running an old version.
The S4 Revolution has been tested by others.
The current library was modified 3/26/2008.
If you are indeed running the latest library and the shutters are still not correct,
I am always more then happy to square things up.
Just keep in mind, the standard hang position for a fixture is first electric pointed at the cyc,
Tilt must have a positive value (say +90 degrees), pan doesn't matter, so if the fixture is hung backward,
just set pan to +180 degrees.)

Well i will check that i have the latest library. I guess I will because I am always running the latest palette version. With hanging things backward, that would just make:

Top - Bottom
Bottom - Top
Left - Right
Right - Left

We also had this problem on Titanic when Rob Halliday designed and one of my friends programmed. That was late March and we were given a new list to upload on the demo light palette we were using.

But surely if I am always running the latest software version I should theoretically have the latest personality folder?


Thanks about the colour wheel. I just assumed that because it was a scroller, it would be a scroller profile which kind of makes more sense! I have always used colour wheels in macs because they actually have colour wheels.

And John.. That would be an amazing feature
Harrison Cooke - Programmer/Production LX - http://www.harrisoncooke.com

User avatar
JohnGrimshaw
Posts: 1233
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:51 pm
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: S4 Revolutions

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Harrison wrote: But surely if I am always running the latest software version I should theoretically have the latest personality folder?
Not necessarily. If Rob was working with a beta build >10.3.1, then the fixture library would not be in the downloaded version.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

User avatar
JohnGrimshaw
Posts: 1233
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:51 pm
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: S4 Revolutions

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:41 pm

BrianEvans wrote:That one has been on the wish list for 5 years.

I have asked for an internal sequencer in the library that allows me to control attributes with timing,
taking the guesswork away from the user.

The Cyberlight is the perfect example of reset drama.
Stand on one foot when mercury alligns with Venus, etc.

So, guys... how about a :added: Fs???? for that request????
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

User avatar
Harrison
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Uk
Contact:

Re: S4 Revolutions

Post by Harrison » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:59 am

JohnGrimshaw wrote:
Harrison wrote: But surely if I am always running the latest software version I should theoretically have the latest personality folder?
Not necessarily. If Rob was working with a beta build >10.3.1, then the fixture library would not be in the downloaded version.

Sorry let me re explain myself! Im talking about two different desks here!

The desk have been using (Classic palette) currently has the most up to date software version available through the Strand website. Is there anyone out there with access to a Revolution and not Wysiwyg (As it seems to work properly on wysiwyg and not in real life)
Harrison Cooke - Programmer/Production LX - http://www.harrisoncooke.com

RobHalliday
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: London, UK (mainly)
Contact:

Re: S4 Revolutions

Post by RobHalliday » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi All,

I do remember talking the Revolution oddities through with Brian at the time we did that show.

However, because we'd already done quite a lot of programming with the Revolutions we never actually used any new Revolution personality that Brian created (since it would change the behaviour of the lights in already-programmed looks). This means that any new fixture he created based on our conversations was never actually tested. Given the difficulty of describing which encoder moves which shutter where when how etc, maybe we hadn't got it quite right....

Rob.

Post Reply