Fan Noise

Is this a feature? Is this a bug? Give us feedback to make it better!
chrismck

Fan Noise

Post by chrismck » Sun May 11, 2008 7:29 pm

Has anyone out there any tips or tricks to minimise fan noise on the Palettes? We have customers who want to use these consoles live in the back of the auditorium, and are concerned about the fan noise.

Thank,
Chris McKenzie
Kenderdine Electrical Ltd/ Professional Lighting Services Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand.
http://www.kelpls.co.nz

gooze

Re: Fan Noise

Post by gooze » Mon May 12, 2008 8:34 am

The best reply I got from Strand was to buy a Lightplaette...

It is a huge problem, caused by the very hot cpu's they are using. The new generation runs much cooler and can do with less fan noise. I think the new Classic Palettes will have the newer CPU's and are much quieter. Right now it is almost unaccepable.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Thu May 15, 2008 7:09 am

Yes - I looked at this problem as well. Part of the problem is the minimal ventilation means that those fans have to move a large volume of air.

I did a little research to see if there was a quieter version of the same size fan, that can move a similar volume of air - and such a beast is simply not made. The fan they use happens to be the noisiest fan of that size, but it moves the most volume of air.

I have asked Strand some months ago if the top panel of the cpu could be removed and replaced by a perforated steel sheet (easy retro fit), and still maintain the warranty. No reply as yet. This option would increase air flow, and decrease the need for such a high volume fan.

There are two bits that get quite hot, the CPU and HDD. Now the HDD is easy to sort. If could be located externally to the brain. The CPU from memory has its own fan, so if air was vented directly out of the unit, I reckon both of the external fans could be disabled. I might have a chat to strand about trying some of these ideas out.

It is a shame that the motherboard does not simply manage the fan speed as required.

You will be happy to know that I raised this with Strand's development team, and I don't think it is a problem we will see into the future.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

SeanGallagher

Post by SeanGallagher » Thu May 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Warranty Policy, Cypress expects that no users will open the brick. For a number of reasons modifying the housing is not recommended. The present hole pattern represents a ‘designed’ airflow. Without further altering the pan of the console itself, there is not any significant benefit to increasing the brick openings. The factory is aware the users on this forum have a diverse and broad understanding of how to properly service PCs: we welcome suggestions.

The following modifications are under consideration by the factory:
'venting' brick & redesigning airflow for console as a UNIT.
1GB memory- both Models

When these are approved a tech bulletin may be issued to ASCs to provide supervised addition/modification to customers that may require it.

forget your warranty if you perform unapproved modifications including:
customize the lid- (please resist urge to paint flames on it)
alter memory-
alter wire harness-
'outboard' the HDD for cooling purposes-

In the process of testing overnight, I did keep a running processor on my dining room table all last night.
The factory floor and the comfort of my home are two different noise environments.
Sean Gallagher
The Lux Productions
Sonoma CA
http://www.thelux.com

gooze

Post by gooze » Thu May 15, 2008 12:22 pm

The cpu of the Palette runs much cooler thus quieter. A newer cpu is the cheapest solution I guess.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.