Ideas

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
Harrison

Ideas

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Just a couple of ideas after having the opportunity to use the new software on Nine a few days after it was released. I'm sure more ideas will come to me later on in the future

- The Martin Stagebars: Although it was great having white and amber to play with on top of RGB, it would be nice if you would be able to implement those two extra colours into the colour picker. I'm not sure how hard this would be to achieve. I think that many other companies will try to copy and start putting white and amber leds into their products.

- Printable tracksheet: Nothing is 100% reliable and what i've learnt the most is to keep copies of everything whether electronically or paper. There was an incident on Nine when someone had changed about 20 cues worth of times to 0.5. The LD had used very specific times and we never managed to get it back properly. We did have backups, but we had done so much more programming after we had found out, it was just too late. A printable tracksheet would just be something else to have as a backup if everything goes wrong.

- Colours in grid: It would be nice to be able to tell every lantern what colour it has in it. I guess not for smaller shows and once you have groups etc you wouldn't really need that, but you could say that for colour groups in a lot of things. I just think it would be handy for everyone to also know what colours are up. It would make things a little bit easier, especially if the LD Is watching the screen. I have had the LD watch screens for the last two shows I have been on and they have found it rather useful
Last edited by Harrison on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrison Cooke - Programmer/Production LX - http://www.harrisoncooke.com

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Ideas

Post by RobertBell » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:49 pm

The trick with the RGBAW LEDs is that all the math in the world for figuring out colours is a triplicate relationship. RGB or CMY or HSL or hsv (all of which we support). We've talked to some LED manufactures and they agree it's tricky. Watch this space.

Printing in general must be improved. Printing tracksheets is on the list. Also, filtering tracksheets between cues and limiting to a group of fixtures.

We've talked about adding colour bubbles to all fixtures (right click - label). Do you think it would be confusing to see conventional lights besides moving lights and both have colour bubbles?

BTW - Some users (that have a lot of channels to spare on their desk), make all the conventionals scrollers, then make a 1-step profile that has that colour in it and applies that profile to the fixture.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

Harrison

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:57 pm

RobertBell wrote: We've talked about adding colour bubbles to all fixtures (right click - label). Do you think it would be confusing to see conventional lights besides moving lights and both have colour bubbles?
I don't think so, but I suppose thats down to how the desk is utilised. I patch all moving lights in one section, scrollers in another, everything else (Leds) in another, and then generics separately. Maybe generic lantern colours could be in a square or rectangle instead?

Just more ideas, I love the box which tells you what the selected moving light is doing and whether or not you can use it. I know I would never need this if I stuck to one way of programming, but couldn't it also supply more information such as a unit number and what the fixture is? Ie. Mac TW1 Unit 3
Last edited by Harrison on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:57 pm

Good stuff Harrison - keep plugging away. Those of us that have been playing with this software for a while need to be reminded with fresh eyes about what the first impressions are, and what the first problems encountered are. Please keep track of these and adding to your list!
RobertBell wrote:Do you think it would be confusing to see conventional lights besides moving lights and both have colour bubbles?
Not at all. the little red flag is enough to designate "extra attributes available for this fixture"

a-hem
Mr Development team...
...wonder where I have seen some of ideas before
:roll:
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

Harrison

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:57 pm

JohnGrimshaw wrote:Not at all. the little red flag is enough to designate "extra attributes available for this fixture"
That too. Thanks John. I've been playing around with the desk since the school got it (which I believe was about 10 months ago). I've only recently (Since september 07) been able to use it on three musicals. I'm just very happy with the response Strand has to ideas and bugs, and they implement a lot of good suggestions made by people. I hear people complain about the desk but don't do anything about it. Bit silly really!

Harrison

Post by Harrison » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:11 pm

RobertBell wrote:The trick with the RGBAW LEDs is that all the math in the world for figuring out colours is a triplicate relationship
I see. Shot in the dark, but surely a lighter blue would just be blue at 100% with more white added the lighter the blue in that tone you want? So in linear colour picker you would go along horizontally to pick the colour, then the higher vertically you went from that postion to white, the more white was added in the fixture? if you wanted it dimmer you would lower the intensity? I guess though it would be a hell of a lot more complex than that, but thats what I did to get the more subtle colours. Amber was just a totally different thing all together. I don't think I used them at all