Auto Display Control

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Auto Display Control

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:43 pm

The "Display Issues" post (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=767&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) reminded my of a request that I don't think made it to my list of suggestions...

(Rob Bell - this adds to the one I sent you, and jumps to the top of my priority list)

Moving Light Attribute Display: The existing "view all" of the moving light section carries a lot of information. Currently, if I select a light or range of lights, they are highlighted in the ML Atributes window, but what we really need is:
- all unselected lights disappear
- all unneeded columns disappear (attributes that do not appear in the current selection)
- whatever attributes currently have "focus" on the encoders, are shown/highlighted on screen.

Now, I would be happy for this to be a special "second" window, because in single display mode I would open it alongside the main display window.

...and just to preempt Rob Halliday (can't remember the exact post or context, but)...
"for some reason a vertical column of information is just easier to read then a horizontal line of text"

...this is because the way we have been taught to read means that we can scan down a list, reading just the first few letters of each line until we find the line of data we want - and then read the full data. A horizontal line means you actually have to scan all of the data to find the data you want, takes longer and more thinking.

Finally, with all of the "removing of unneeded data", it would be MUCH easier to compare any two fixtures that are numbered anywhere in the design, regardless how strange the LD's numbering system is.
----------
All all of the suggestions I have out at the moment, this one tops my list by a long way.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

RobHalliday

Re: Auto Display Control

Post by RobHalliday » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:06 pm

I fundamentally agree with everything John has said above, but to go a step further...

In conversations with a number of LDs, what keeps coming up is that what the LDs want from this display is a 'summary' of what the light is doing, rather than the nitty gritty precise detail of the setting of every single attribute. Talking this through always seems to end up with a request to see:

- Intensity
- Position (NOT pan-and-tilt)
- Colour (NOT colour and cyan and magenta and yellow)
- Gobo(s) (NOT gobos and all of the indexes and all of the modes)
then perhaps size (iris/zoom) and other (shutter - but again, a one line summary not eight shutters all set to the same focus).

Now, this would inevitably be different from what the programmer would need or want, but LDs look at the console screens a lot, too, and I think we should give serious consideration to a specific 'LD display' that would be useful to them both as a 'production desk video' display during the show, and as a 'summary' display when they are puzzling through the show later on an off-line editor. They can always switch to the 'full' display if they do need to see everything for some reason.

Rob.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:21 pm

RobHalliday wrote:but LDs look at the console screens a lot, too
...and LD's are the person that specify a console for a show. Some serious effort at making them happy = sales.

I am well aware that we are not talking about a simple change to the display data. Something like this affects layout and so on, and (presumably) would take a serious amount of programming time to make it happen.
RobHalliday wrote:what the LDs want from this display is a 'summary' of what the light is doing
So, if the attribute display was a vertical list, then you could "collapse" the detail in the same way the tracksheet hides all of the attribute data (RobH: or a Mac showed folder contents and those little arrows that would expand the folder contents within the same list). A programmer would always have everything fully expanded, and LD would choose to expand what they needed.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

gooze

Post by gooze » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:38 am

Very good ideas. With the 500, once a show was plotted, I always choose to show either pan or tilt and just one of the colours to save screen real-estate.
This was not really practical if you wanted to change something, but it was much clearer.
I think with Palette the big bubbles could give you all the information you want. Select a spot where everything is fully collapsed (hidden), hit {S6 - COLOUR}, everything you want to know is now displayed in the big bubbles above the softkeys.

Proposal:
The big bubbles are always showing reallife values (degrees, percentages), the ML window is showing palette names by default (completely collapsed) and you'd have to manually "expand" the light if you need to see more.

PS. Please don't make the ugly windows registry trees...
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

RobHalliday

Post by RobHalliday » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:57 pm

John,

Yes, I think so, except that it would need some thought to decide what got grouped with what under each category. For example, I think the LD might just want to see 'dots gobo' rather than 'dots gobo, cw rotate, 12rpm', etc - so arguably they should be grouped together.

Ultimately this is one of those things you could kind of achieve on the 500 through display groups, the "D" setup, etc, but it really needs a better, more elegant way of achieving it.

Rob.