Other Windows - Softkeys

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
gooze

Other Windows - Softkeys

Post by gooze » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 am

Could we add an extra display type? Next to the existing Display -> Other Window - Intensities and Other Window - ML, I would like to see Other Window - Softkeys.

It could look like this:
Other Window - Softkeys.jpg
Other Winodws - Softkeys and Subs
Other Window - Softkeys.jpg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 818 times
I am planning to buy one of these to put in a drawer underneath my desk, next to a keyboard.

Another question would be... Is it possible to install the drivers for this little device?
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Other Windows - Softkeys

Post by RobertBell » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:44 am

Your best bet is to get John Grimshaw to open-source his code that he used on SOFTKEYS (see here)

There is already an open palette project in .net for softkeys. The reason I'm not jumping at adding it as a feature request to the main code is that the VB6 we're using for the main UI is no longer supported by MS and therefor is not very extensible. We want to dump it ourselves ASAP.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:55 pm

That is a funky device! Releasing the source code for Softkeys is not so straight forward though (I have plans for that thing that are currently waiting for me to get time to sort it out), nor will getting the device drivers for the screen onto the Palette.

Does open some interesting possibilities though if it WERE possible to get the drivers in there.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

gooze

Post by gooze » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:43 am

Is there some agreement between Strand and Elo (the heaviest screens on the planet) or is it just out of safety and stability that there are only one set of touchscreen drivers on the desk. I think it is possible with a password to install drivers.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

RobertBell
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:22 am

It's out of saftey (even though ELO caused us no end of grief with bad BSOD crashes for 18 months). We sort of want to know what is on the system - all systems - out there. OEMing processors and OS's is not like the old days of building your own mother-boards and writing your own boot-strap to your own (single) application.

We could open it up fully - we could throw out passwords willy-nilly - but prudence says we hold it close to our chest. It likely means less support for us and less headaches for our users.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.