Save to read-only file fails

User submitted ideas for how we can make the Palette and Light Palette Consoles better
dla001
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Strand ASC in Arizona

Save to read-only file fails

Post by dla001 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:19 am

I had to leave a system in the hands of the maintenance crew - no one from a performance area was available to train. Thinking to save them a bit of headache, I did a system setup and patch, and saved it to a show. Next, I copied that show to a new file and renamed it "template" and gave it a read-only attribute for safety. Just as a test, I loaded that template show, and tried to do a save to it. The "file saving" dialog came up, and >never< went away. I could close the current show, and open another one, but the "file saving" dialog (well not really a dialog, 'cuz there were no buttons with which to enter into dialog...) just stayed on-screen. I had to exit Palette in order to get rid of it. The log file showed that the save failed, but I would think the user notification should be a bit more graceful...

Which prompts me to ask: what is the recommended method of saving a template? It would be nice to have a special file type, which, when opened, would force the first save to be as "save as" to a new name...

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Save to read-only file fails

Post by RobertBell » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:58 am

:duplicate: FS#938 - be more tolerant of opening read only files
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.