CMY vs RGB vs HSI fading

Helpful hints for how to accomplish common and not so common things
gooze

CMY vs RGB vs HSI fading

Post by gooze » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:13 pm

At the moment I am not at the desk to try this out, but...
Could someone tell me if there is any difference in fading from Red to Blue with colourspace on CMY or let's say HSI?
How is this with the predefined colours (Text Match, Lee 106 to Lee 120)
And how is this when you adapt the Lee 106 a little (1% up) with your colourwheel, but not the Lee 120, will the fade look the same?
I ask this, because all this makes a huge difference on the Whog III.

This is a no hurry post... :P
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: CMY vs RGB vs HSI fading

Post by RobertBell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:49 pm

I'm not sure, but I think the HogIII always fades in the HSI colour space. We allow you to fade in six colour spaces. CMY and RGB crossfades always look the same on the stage. HSL crossfades fade through the rainbow if you leave S the same. HSL' fades backwards through the rainbow and wraps around the ends. hsv and hsv' look the same as HSL and HSL' respecively.

For a detailed description check out the ACM topic here:
http://www.horizoncontrol.com/mqhelp/mq ... ontrol.htm Search way down in the topic to "RGB Crossfade"
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

MattKlasmeier

Re: CMY vs RGB vs HSI fading

Post by MattKlasmeier » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Very handy feature. Allows a user to work in one or multiple color spaces to mix the color the way they like and as a bonus it can be changed cue to cue. As Robert described it will change the path on how the fixture gets to the color. If you have two colors that are side by side with HSL and you want a more dramatic /dynamic fade, change it to HSL' and it will then get to the color by going the long way round. It can also be used if you go through a muddy range of color and you want to avoid that range change the color space.