Help with creating an effect

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
tank78

Re: Help with creating an effect

Post by tank78 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:57 pm

Amber I am new to this scene and wanted to read the pages you wrote on the in and outs of effects. I have ever done any effects and I just downloaded the demo.spf on this site. When I click on the link is doesn't let me view it?? Any help would be great.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:22 pm

An SPF file is a "show file" for the palette software. Download it. Install the OLE (offline editor) from the Strand website, or put the file on your console. Then it will open.

http://www.strandlighting.com/index.php ... u=PSupport
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

gooze

Post by gooze » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:49 am

BrianEvans wrote:Maybe mentioned, maybe not.
Maybe related, maybe not.

Effects MUST be recorded DELTA, not LIVE.

Hope that makes a difference in your experiments.

Live doesn't record the necessary parameters correctly at this point in time.
The problem appears to be that Record Live does record the effect. No problem here.
The big issue is that you cannot get rid of it anymore once you have recorded it using Record Live. Even not with the method described in the manual. The effect does disappear when you step through your cues, but it is still there if you [GO] through your cues as you would do during a show.
This is very confusing behaviour, because initially (creating the effect) you cannot see any difference between the two recording methods, the problem becomes apparent when you to try to stop the effect or want to delete it from the cue where the effect was originally started.
I hope this can be fixed soon. This by the way throws new light on all my previous effect issues. I would say this is something to solve as quickly as possible, because the desk defaults in Record Live, so that will be the recording method everybody uses.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

jmac
Primary Venue / Use: Local Theatre
Where I Am: New York State

Post by jmac » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:11 pm

gafftaper wrote: Third, can we get the position effects moved to the top menu? You should be able to push effects and have the choice of new intensity effect, new movement effect, or new color effect depending on the capabilities of the instruments selected.... position, shift S2+ S2... that's buried a little deep don't you think. Is it color shift S2+S2 to get to the color effects generator?
Resurrecting an old post here... Just getting into effects now.

I agree, it would be helpful to be able to access the position effects choices as easily as the intensity effects choices, right from the S10 Effects softkey. Finding the intensity effects is very easy and intuitive. Finding the position effects is neither. I would have never stumbled on Shift S2+S2, without directions. Why not get the first choice of intensity, position or color effects directly off S10?
Last edited by jmac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Mackenzie
Classic Palette II

jmac

Post by jmac » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:19 pm

Also agree it would be quite helpful, at least for novices like myself, to see a list of each type of available intensity, position and color effect, a general description (or sketch) of the effect, along with a list and description of all the associated adjustable parameters. It's perhaps all obvious to moving light veterans, but for those of us just starting, just learning the terminology would give us some initial comfort level.

Anybody working on this? Include with upcoming Effects Tutorial Bobby? You are working on one? :) Thanks!
Jim Mackenzie
Classic Palette II

jmac

Post by jmac » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:38 am

jmac wrote:Also agree it would be quite helpful, at least for novices like myself, to see a list of each type of available intensity, position and color effect, a general description (or sketch) of the effect, along with a list and description of all the associated adjustable parameters. It's perhaps all obvious to moving light veterans, but for those of us just starting, just learning the terminology would give us some initial comfort level.

Anybody working on this? Include with upcoming Effects Tutorial Bobby? You are working on one? :) Thanks!
P.S. Moving lights tutorial??

I've been thru DrGisBoH's videos. They are very helpful, and I'll go thru the ML ones again, but it would also be nice to have the written tutorial to go thru and have as a handy resource. I know, there are other things things that keep a Bobby busy, but at least keep it on the To-do list...

Are there other resources any of you would recommend for beginner ML uses (esp. musical theater) and programming? Thanks.
Jim Mackenzie
Classic Palette II

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:46 pm

This may be a case where you just need to know the secret. One of the issues is the list would get quite long if it was all from S10 -

Shift-S2(Pan) is not really the same as Shift-S3(tilt). For some of the choices there is no difference - Ballyhoo, for example. This is not the case for all choices - Sine would only effect the chosen attribute, the same with Sawtooth...

The same applies to Color - Sine applied to Hue is a variation on rainbow. A Sine applied to Saturation would be something else ...