Strobe - Modifying Attributes

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Strobe - Modifying Attributes

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:39 pm

I have a client with a 2ch DMX strobe. Currently on the fixtures list, the ones I can find that are 2ch Strobes (including the SGM Flasher) but its Intensity and Rate are reversed. Is there a way to modify the attribute patch to make this work WITHOUT resorting to getting you to write a special fixture profile?
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

GaryDouglas

Re: Strobe - Modifying Attributes

Post by GaryDouglas » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Absolutely. In Patch by output.

1) Patch the fixture so that it lands on the DMX channels you want to use for it.
2) For instance, if the fixture is number 3 and it's on DMX 14 and 15, Patch By Output:

14 AT 3 [S4 ATTRIBUTE] [ M2 Rate]
15 AT 3 [S4 ATTRIBUTE] [ M1 Intensity]

S4 will populate as soon as you've specified the fixture number.
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:04 am

Thanks - I remembered there was something about doing this, but I just could not remember what it was.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

KarelBartak

Post by KarelBartak » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:16 am

Gary I supose this is working generaly for any atributes in Patch. If so it is great tool for "fixture editing". But to go back to fixtures, are you planning to make some tool to allow people create their own fixture presonalities or edit current ones? I know it is not as easy as in 500 series and fixture definitions are now much more complex, but I think people will as for such piece of software...

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:06 pm

The technique is to right now use the generics or the fixtures related to the Rosco ICue to create custom fixtures by repatching them and applying custom profiles.

If you look at the Rosco ICue fixtures you'll notice that there are a number of generic fixtures that cover nearly every case where you'd need to create a custom fixture.

If you have a new moving light you need to use quickly you can repatch an Icue fixture and apply profiles to create a custom fixture for use while we create the real library.

This should cover the need for custom fixtures, and allow for a seamless replacement of the fixture with the real library fixture later on.

Just as an aside, try patching an RGB fixture to the dimmers driving a 3 cell cyc with red green and blue gel..... then you can use the color picker for your cyc, and the color effects in the effects engine.
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

RobertBell
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:35 pm

GaryDouglas wrote:Just as an aside, try patching an RGB fixture to the dimmers driving a 3 cell cyc with red green and blue gel..... then you can use the color picker for your cyc, and the color effects in the effects engine.
See viewtopic.php?f=29&t=622
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.