Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
soundguy99
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Manitoba Canada

Question about tracking

Post by soundguy99 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey guys
I have a question about tracking when programing cues
I am fairly new to the Pallet console so forgive me if this seems like a stupid question.
We have a 64 channel VL, and do a fair amount of theater productions.
I have done some tutorials and found, some options under the show options tab, to not have the console load the cue upon record or update, as well as releasing dimmers upon record and update, which has been helpful.
With the option load cue the cue upon record or update turned off, it obviously doesn`t engage the cue you have just recorded so if you were using the sub masters to record a a couple of looks into the cue, you are now able to take them out and adjust your sub masters for your next cue.
While this may be good for the first 2 cues the problem with this process is that the highlighted cue which is grey (not loaded or yellow) doesn`t track to the next cue while you record, therefore not following your recording, and track into cue 3, 4 and so forth. you would have to step down to track, the next cue, much the same way as if you had the cue enabled and using the release all command.
Is there a way, while not loading any of the cues, to have the grey selection bar follow you process while you record your cues, so that your submaster remain in control, while you in rapid fire succession record your cues, without having to use the step down or release controls at all.
Kind of like the old consoles, where you move some faders, hit record, change what you want to change with the faders leaving some in the same spot, while changing others, then hit record again. Then afterward after you have your 40 or 50 cues, you engage the cues, in succession, and many any changes you need to.
If that makes any sense,
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
soundguy_99

gooze

Question about tracking

Post by gooze » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:10 am

You can try to set the record mode to record live and cue only and then after you are ready get rid of all the hard values by removing redundant data for your whole cuelist. (right click any cue in your cuelist an select remove redundant data all cues)

Maybe it is also possible to set your cuelist to preset mode. Rightclick the cuelist in the upper window pane and select cuelist properties. I'm not sure if that will do the trick for you though.

Remember to try all this out before you get into any real life plotting stress:-)
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

soundguy99
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Manitoba Canada

Re: Question about tracking

Post by soundguy99 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks gooze,
I tried that and it didn`t quite work the way I wanted it to.
Basically what I want is to track as if the cues were engaged, where by although the cues aren`t being loaded each time, the grey selection bar, keeps moving down to the last recorded cue. This way you keep your submasters in control of the actual output of the console, and adjust you levels of dimmers or submasters in succession of every newly recorder cue, without having to hit the Rel PB or clear buttons after every recorded cue.
it May not do give you an indication of your times, as loading the cue would, however it would allow you to program a number of cues allot faster, and them once done you can always go back and edit your times later.I ma a bit surprised that the strand guys wouldn`t have thought of that.
Again any thoughts are greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
sounguy

gooze

Post by gooze » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:59 am

There is a trick, but a tricky one. You could set goto cue on record on. Include subs in record and record live. Then set your subs to be exclusive. Now record all your cues using your submasters. After you're done, set your subs back to normal HTP. Your cues are recorded just fine.

:!: There appears to be a bug in the software though.
Subs LTP should have a higher priority then your cuelist, but they don't assert correctly when you move your (virtual) subs.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Changing the Look Type from HTP (to LTP or vice versa), changes the priority if you use the properties dialog box. Double check the priorities after changing the Look Type.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Robert,

Any chance of the dialog growing to include all of the options we find in the Look List grid?

Taine