Question concerning The Trackball on the Pallet VL

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
soundguy99
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Manitoba Canada

Question concerning The Trackball on the Pallet VL

Post by soundguy99 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Hey guys,
We have some Mac entours as well as some regular dimmers, and I have noticed when trying to use the trackball to controll the pan and tilt on the Macs, there is quite a bit of delay from the time I move the trackball to the time the Head on the Mac actually starts to move. So much to the point where I resort to using the pan and tilt encoders instead.
I have checked and the tracking speed is at full, and everything appears fine.
I was wondering if there was any calibration to correct this, or what could be the problem.
Any thoughts is greatly appreciated, as I would like to use the trackball to control the pan and tilt on the macs,
Thanks,
soundguy99

MickCrozier
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Question concerning The Trackball on the Pallet VL

Post by MickCrozier » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:04 am

IMO The Trackball is not very nice. I'm not a fan of it's feel, and definatley not a fan of it's response time.

I borrowed a Kensington Expert Trackball from a friend and plugged it in the other day
K05-1002-main.jpg
K05-1002-main.jpg (30.82 KiB) Viewed 739 times
It workd great - overall i was much happier with the general feel of using a trackball rather than a mouse with the console.
And response on movers when using the ball was much better (with pan/tilt in the bubbles, Hold S2 and S3 and move ball/mouse).

Which brings a request:
Any chance of getting a generic multi-button mouse driver installed in the console - to take advantage of the extra buttons mice/balls like this one have?
Formerly Durisian (who died peacefully of digital old age)