USB DMX IN

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
MattKlasmeier

Re: USB DMX IN

Post by MattKlasmeier » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:09 pm

The 100 is a bit of an odd creature. If it is in 2 scene mode it only has to send data for 12 dimmers. Because of the small amount of data it has a very high refresh rate. Many DMX devices do not like a fast refresh rate. On many devises this can be helped by patching a dimmer in the 500 range. Unfortunately the 100 does not have patch and this trick does not work.

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:01 pm

12 dimmers only would violate the DMX spec -- are you sure it isn't 24 ( minimum packet size ?)

The palette/quad boards won't have an issue with the short DMX packet at a high refresh rate -- I've determined today that the 10.6.2011 software configures the DMX input incorrectly ( I can tell the panel how often to send redundant DMX, and I was setting this to 'never').

The workaround is to run an effect on a channel that is not patched to anything in palette.

This is fixed for the next beta release.
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

MattKlasmeier

Post by MattKlasmeier » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:48 am

Gary,

I just check the console with a DMXter in two scene mode and it is only outputting 12 channels. In single scene mode the console outputs 24 channels. If you need any additional information let me know and I would be glad to post it .

Matt

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:18 pm

When we set up our Strand 301 for use as on stage control of our work lights (or whatever else we wanted to toss in a look), we had the same issue of the console only outputting 12 DMX channels. The simple solution was to patch another channel (I think it was in the 500s too).
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Yes - we patched channel 1 or whatever at DMX512. That forced the little desk to output a full DMX frame.
This was an issue on receiving data on the SN110s too.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TerryHynes

Post by TerryHynes » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:06 pm

RobertBell wrote:If any 'thing' (e.g., Fixture, Look, Output) has a DMX INPUT mapped to it (S6-Input), that entire port is changed from an Output to an Input. If you have a LP with a Quad DMX card, that port's Status LED will be red. If you have a LP with a Dual DMX card, it won't work. If you have a Palette series, you would have to know that the port is input vs. output. We are going to add something in the left patch pane to show which ports are used as inputs vs. outputs.

So - as an example, if you type

[Look] [X] [S6-Input] [M1-DMX] [2.1] [Enter], then port 2 will no longer be an output, but will accept DMX and any changes on DMX offset 1 will be transferred to Look 1.
Sorry group, but unless I'm missing something here, this doesn't work. I've tried the above syntax and nothing happens - no sub led - nothing. I've tried in Patch By Fixture the following syntax: [1/243][S6-input][M1-DMX][4.1][Enter] This shows the expected values in the Input column but as soon as I connect the touring console a bunch of channels light up with apparently random levels. In this particular case the touring console is a Horizon on a laptop. The last time I tried it was with a Compulite - same thing happened. We confirmed that the touring console was not outputting any levels when this happened.

What am I missing??
Terry Hynes
Head of Lighting
Centre In The Square
Kitchener, Ontario
Canada

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:56 am

1. do the fixture intensities have amber coloured levels?
  2. does port 4's LED go red?
  3. is there any correlation between fades on the touring desk and the stage (or is it always garbage)?
  4. when you unplug the touring desk - after 6 seconds do things return to normal?
  5. are you using inputs on looks too? (I'm not sure how those will resolve if you use an input to control both a look and a fixture)
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TerryHynes

Post by TerryHynes » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:25 pm

RobertBell wrote:
  1. do the fixture intensities have amber coloured levels?
    Yes
  2. does port 4's LED go red?
    Unfortunately I can't check that right now - we're in show mode - about to open the house
  3. is there any correlation between fades on the touring desk and the stage (or is it always garbage)?
    Didn't try fading from cue to cue after seeing the garbage
  4. when you unplug the touring desk - after 6 seconds do things return to normal?
    Yes
  5. are you using inputs on looks too? (I'm not sure how those will resolve if you use an input to control both a look and a fixture)
Tried inputs on looks but couldn't get it to work - I used the syntax from your previous message but nothing happened - the look led did not light up.
Terry Hynes
Head of Lighting
Centre In The Square
Kitchener, Ontario
Canada