USB DMX IN

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
philpp

USB DMX IN

Post by philpp » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:49 pm

Hello
I would like to know, how run USB DMX IN?
Thank you for your help
PANADIFFUSION
Dealers, Distributors and Reps (France)

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: USB DMX IN

Post by RobertBell » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:27 pm

If any 'thing' (e.g., Fixture, Look, Output) has a DMX INPUT mapped to it (S6-Input), that entire port is changed from an Output to an Input. If you have a LP with a Quad DMX card, that port's Status LED will be red. If you have a LP with a Dual DMX card, it won't work. If you have a Palette series, you would have to know that the port is input vs. output. We are going to add something in the left patch pane to show which ports are used as inputs vs. outputs.

So - as an example, if you type

[Look] [X] [S6-Input] [M1-DMX] [2.1] [Enter], then port 2 will no longer be an output, but will accept DMX and any changes on DMX offset 1 will be transferred to Look 1.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

golights

Post by golights » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Would this only apply to "DMX" in and would not turn an output into an input if you are using shownet or artnet patched to 2.1?

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:43 am

Correct.

golights

Post by golights » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:38 pm

When using DMX in the level on the look would drop out after 6 seconds. I would have to move fader to bring level back up then in 6 seconds would drop out again.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:03 pm

:added: FS#1773 - DMX In / Hardware resolution issues (HTP)
A look that is controlled by both a Pot and a DMX in should resolve HTP. It sort of does now except these observations
1 - Pot at 50 == Look at 50 (correct)
2 - DMX raises above 50 == Look following level (correct)
3 - DMX jumps (not fades) to lower level while pot > 0 == Look stuck at old level (wrong)
4 - Pot and DMX at 0, then DMX Jump to any level, Looks faithfully follows level (correct)
FYI - there is a 6 second timeout on DMX. Are you using Shownet in? What is your DMX source? Shownet only sends levels of non-changing DMX levels every 15 seconds. You may be seeing an "as designed" timeout in 6 seconds.

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:03 pm

TO clarify -- some shownet devices like the 300 console send non-changing DMX levels at very long intervals.

Palette has been tested to perform correctly with idle Shownet from the N21, SN110( Latest version only) , Pathport nodes (2-port only) and the 500 series of desks.

The 300 is problematic. Other devices whose manufacturers claim to support Shownet may not produce desirable results.
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

golights

Post by golights » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:35 pm

I was using a 100 console to port 2 (B) on a preset palette(silver). Set up look 1 to dmx in 2.1 and feed it with the 100. Worked fine for 6 seconds then went away. Repositioned fader on the 100 and level comes back. 6 seconds later.......

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Thank you for clarifying -- I'll take a look at the DMX in code to make sure it sends the software levels as often as possible!
Gary Douglas - Lead Software Developer - Pathway Connectivity - A Division of Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.

gooze

Post by gooze » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:33 pm

Since this is a common complaint, wouldn't it be possible to make one last software update (or have Strand make) for the 300, in which this issue is addressed at its roots?
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.