Fixture Profile

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
amoyer

Re: Fixture Profile

Post by amoyer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:59 pm

BrianEvans wrote:I can control a digital audio console with Midi or RS232 commands.............. ;)
Or for that matter... I have a computer that sends a command to start the SMPTE and I don't need any operators... the lighting, sound and video operators can just stay at home... all I need is one person with the big red panic button and I'm all set!

And honestly, I've run shows without hundreds of lighting cues with just an operator in the booth that started the music. Gotta love when you can timecode a show! No worries about crappy stage managers that miss cues or screw up their stop watch at the start of the song when the lighting cues happen once the timecode flies by!
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

MickCrozier
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Melbourne, Australia

Post by MickCrozier » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Don't forget Pyrotechnics, mechanical set movements, and probably not too hard to rig up midi into a motorised fly system!

Thankgoodness for OH&S!!
... Never thought I would say that ... :D
Formerly Durisian (who died peacefully of digital old age)

AlanMartello
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA

Post by AlanMartello » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Straker wrote:
BrianEvans wrote: Thumbnails are pointless decorations,
and don't solve any problems.
I think from my point of view having used most of the above mentioned it is all about degrees of difficulty.

Thumnails are nice but not totally vital they do make the necessity of continously updating paperwork for new content less of a problem. Seeing the inframe of the image rather than a number is easier. However, being able to see exactly what the projector is outputting on the screen of the console as you are using it (without setting up extra output splitters that add delay 2 or 3 frames delay especialy on a live feed) is very nice.

From my point of view if you are getting a desk for media work you might be better served elsewhere. Having said that some of the good media desks are rubbish for theatre work. Its all about what application you are going to be using a particuar tool for.
I would like to thank everyone for the spirited conversation. I've been monitoring this discussion and using it for a bit of "R & D Intelligence".

Brian has been very passionate at internal meetings about some changes he felt were necessary for media servers for a number of years and we knowingly "threw a little gas on the fire" to see the response from the user community. The information that we have gathered has been useful in refining both our goals and timeline for trying to make the media server experience more enjoyable in the system. Don't hold your breath, but we hear you and definitely agree with the primary concepts.

Again, thank you all for the lively discussion ... and keep those comments coming.
Alan Martello, Ph.D. - System Architect - Horizon Control Inc.

Straker
Primary Venue / Use: Touring
Where I Am: A UK Northern Opera Company

Post by Straker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm

AmP wrote: The bottom line is, that I work at a university, and in theory we're training the next generation of lighting board users. The interesting thing is that this generation of students doesn't see a moving light differently than a conventional, or a media server differently from a moving light. They know the differences, they just don't see how it should be any more complicated. They just make it go.
Certainly thats my point of view as well. My background is mixed sound, electrics and media (ie camera op and spark).

To me media and video in a theatre environment generally is lighting. How can you justify having a projector (that chucks light out the front onto the stage) being controlled by what is effectively a sound department with little or no reference to the lighting states onstage?
AmP wrote:I completely disagree with having a separate video op, or a desk just for the media server
I don't to be honest. Certainly a complicated video show with multiple projectors, surfaces and mix outputs takes far too much plotting time when your programmer could be working with the lighting designer plotting states. Seperate programmers perhaps a single operator once the show opens.

What I would like to see is a joined up approach, both systems using the same console software on different hardware eventually being combined onto the same desk and operator, through cue list merges probably. This is where the Palette falls down for me at the moment, how can you convince a video department to buy into a concept when they want a different desk?

AlanMartello wrote: Again, thank you all for the lively discussion ... and keep those comments coming.
Thanks for allowing it to happen. The politics of dealing with video and media can sometimes make me a little bit more forceful than I intended when reading back some of my posts.

I would certainly be interested to see you future developments on this.

AmP
Primary Venue / Use: University
Where I Am: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post by AmP » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:15 am

Straker wrote:
AmP wrote:I completely disagree with having a separate video op, or a desk just for the media server
I don't to be honest. Certainly a complicated video show with multiple projectors, surfaces and mix outputs takes far too much plotting time when your programmer could be working with the lighting designer plotting states. Seperate programmers perhaps a single operator once the show opens.

What I would like to see is a joined up approach, both systems using the same console software on different hardware eventually being combined onto the same desk and operator, through cue list merges probably. This is where the Palette falls down for me at the moment, how can you convince a video department to buy into a concept when they want a different desk?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking entirely from my own situation there. I agree with you. Having a large and complicated show requires more than one op sometimes, and sometimes it requires many. I meant that I disagreed with just "giving it to video" to deal with as a solution to my problem. I just don't have that option, there's no video department for me to give it to. From my point of view, I can't have the students here just passing the buck (as it were) to another department. They need to figure out how to work through it. It's not feasible for us to go out and rent a desk for the media server or to bring in someone else to op it. That's all.

I also agree with you that it's great that we get to have this kind of conversation here, and that there will be results coming out of it.