Fixture Profile

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
AmP
Primary Venue / Use: University
Where I Am: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Fixture Profile

Post by AmP » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Ok I have another question.

Is there a way to assign a "colour profile" to an item that's not a scroller? I have a Catalyst media server and I'd love for some of its attribute parameters to be labelled. For instance under the Visual Effects attribute, 0-255 are things like "spin" or "flip" etc etc. Is it possible to add a "colour profile" to something like this simply to be able to get to the labelling, or to be able to label the profile that already exists?

I don't mind doing the legwork of sourcing out all the parameters and entering them, I just can't figure out how to do it.

gooze

Post by gooze » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:43 pm

I would do a gobowheel profile. You can do that as long as dmx values are evenly spread between 0 and 255.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

AmP

Post by AmP » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm not near my board, so I'm using the OLE and I can't seem to apply a wheel profile. I may be missing something. I can change to a blank profile but the wheel profile I've created isn't showing up in the drop down list. Can someone tell me the command string to apply it? Is it something I need the console for?

golights

Post by golights » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:36 am

In patch by fixture you would need to create a new profile. S8 should be edit profile, this is where you would build the profile. After you have a profile built then you would go to the patch by fixture page and type in the fixture number you want to apply a profile to. Select S8 which now is [profile] and a list of fixture attributes should populate the M keys, select the attribute you want to attach the profile to and the M keys should populate with available profiles. Select the profile you want to use. I am not sure if a profile could be built for the visual effects attribute but this is where you would need to try it. Hope this helps.

AmP

Post by AmP » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 pm

That's where I'm running into problems. I've tried both a blank profile and a wheel profile and I run into some problems. First, if I add a 3rd created profile it doesn't populate in the M keys when I go to select it. Second, with both profiles I've created, I don't get the labels appearing in the bubble when I try to run the attribute. Third, it seems as though the wheel info disappears when I go back in to edit it. The blank profile stays the same, but the wheel profile reverts back to the basic template.

golights

Post by golights » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 pm

I think the profile has to be associated with the attribute, Scroller with a color attribute, gobo with a gobo attribute. I'm not sure what attribute the blank profile fits in. You can build a scroller profile and attach it to a mover to allow the color to show up the 'colors in grid' bubbles. Maybe there should be a lable profile. I think Robert or Gary would be the ones to explain if this is possible. I did try the blank profile on a catalyst media server to see if it would attach to the attribute but was unable to get it to.

AmP

Post by AmP » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm

It would certainly be useful if it's an available function. Right now the labels are the only thing stopping us from controlling our Catalyst from the Strand desk as opposed to our Hog. The Strand is much more user friendly for our students but some of the Catalyst options aren't really apparent from just looking at them. It means you have to have the book handy to figure out which effect is which. Slows the process down. I'll continue to mess with it, but so far I'm having zero luck.

golights

Post by golights » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:12 pm

If you knew what the labeling should be for each attribute you might could get Gary to update the profile for the catalyst with the lables in it. Send a email to support@horizoncontrol.com with what you need and see if this is possible.

Straker
Primary Venue / Use: Touring
Where I Am: A UK Northern Opera Company

Post by Straker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:26 pm

As an aside have you not have major problems with the lack of "other" fixture types for Catalyst. Mix Layer Select, Mix Layer Keystone and extended colour and visual FX parameters come to mind?

My problem is finding all the documentation for these features in order to send to horizon. They have all been added in the "Whats New" documentation but Richard hasn't released a full version 4 manual yet.

AmP

Post by AmP » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:44 pm

golights - I do have most of the labeling, it's in the manual for the version 3 software. I don't have the version 4. Now that I've had some time to think about it though, it might be more helpful to have a "labeling profile" instead. It could come in handy for giving the library files each a label. That's all really cherries on top though. Anything would help.

Straker - I haven't actually had that problem, but not because the problem doesn't exist. I spend the majority of my time with the catalyst just getting the students to the point where they can turn things on, and haven't really had any time to play with it. Also, we are still running with the Hog, and have only had the Strand hooked up to it for a demo workshop. We've never run them together for a show. I'd love to, but without the labeling I'm fighting an uphill battle.