Another round of questions

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
bnortin
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Houston, TX

Another round of questions

Post by bnortin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:35 pm

I've run across a few more items while programming this weekend that are causing me some problems.

Recording in Cue-Only:
If I record a cue in cue-only with the playback released, it records my current look as well as levels from the previous cue in the cue list, similar to recording a new cue in blind. I understand why it's doing this, but I would think in cue-only mode it shouldn't track those levels into the new cue.

Updating in Cue-Only:
Selective Update - [Fixture] [Update] [Cue] [#] [Thru] [#] - only updates the first cue, not the range of cues. Selecting [Track] works, but not for updating multiple non-sequential cues.

Deleting a Fixture From Cues - same as above, only removes the fixture from the first cue in the series.

Copying Looks:
When I copy a look it's only copying fixture values and not copying bump or action settings, which means I can't copy a look that has an effect on it. I believe the same thing happens with the Move command.

Inhibitive Subs:
Any submaster set to be inhibitive is acting proportionally on the level of the channel, rather than limiting the maximum level of the channel. There are times where this is useful, but it would be nice to have a setting to allow you to limit how high the channel can go.

I think that's it for now.
Bryan Nortin
Electrician - Miller Outdoor Theatre - Houston, TX
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician #1619
Light Palette VL 10.8.8
Light Palette Live 10.8.8

amoyer

Re: Another round of questions

Post by amoyer » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:46 pm

bnortin wrote:Inhibitive Subs:
Any submaster set to be inhibitive is acting proportionally on the level of the channel, rather than limiting the maximum level of the channel. There are times where this is useful, but it would be nice to have a setting to allow you to limit how high the channel can go.
In an inhibitive sub, if channel is 1 is set to 100% and that sub is only at 50% then channel 1 will only ever go up to 50%. The value you set for a channel in that is a limit when that sub is at full. If you set it below 100% then certainly that limit level will be proportional to that level.
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

bnortin

Post by bnortin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:06 pm

I had the channel set to full in the inhibitive sub, then the designer decided he never wanted that channel to go above 50%, so he brought the inhibitive sub down to 50%. The problem we ran into was when the channel was in a cue at 20%, the inhibitor only let it go up to 10%.

If I record the channel in the inhibitor at the maximum level I want (in this case 50%) and leave the inhibitor sub at full, will it keep the channel from going past 50%? The problem with this though is that if I need to change that maximum level I can't do it by moving the fader, I have to re-record the inhibitive sub with the new maximum level.
Bryan Nortin
Light Palette VL 10.8.8

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:30 pm

AMoyer wrote:If you set it below 100% then certainly that limit level will be proportional to that level.
Too many pronouns in here to really understand what you're saying Andy, but I want to clear something up: It matters not what level you record channels into an Inhibative Sub. They just need to be present. All channels in that sub will shaft with the handle regardless of recorded level. Maybe not what you want.

If you want to limit the output of a channel vs scaling its output based on an inhibative, you must change the settings of the OUTPUT (not the Fixture). The cannot be done with the command line. You must use the blue box to highlight the SETTINGS column of the patched output and enter the max level in the dialog box.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 am

I agree there are times it would be nice to have an inhibitive that set a max without scaling. This would have very different results than the current proportional inhibitive.

Looking at some of your other points -

Recording Q-Only when the playback is released - unless you record Block the levels from the previous cue will track into the new cue. Q-Only has nothing to do with this. Q-Only is all about "clean-up" of the cue AFTER the one you are recording, if such a cue exist. Then again the original LP didn't have the concept of a released playback.

Updating a range of cues Q-Only - your description describes, what I believe is, the wrong behavior.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:55 am

bnortin wrote:Updating in Cue-Only:
Selective Update - [Fixture] [Update] [Cue] [#] [Thru] [#] - only updates the first cue, not the range of cues. Selecting [Track] works, but not for updating multiple non-sequential cues.
This is as designed (as we are by nature a tracking console - you only need data in one place).

MickCrozier
Where I Am: Melbourne, Australia

Post by MickCrozier » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:57 pm

My update cue range in Q-Only results

Bryan - maybe your issues are related - If your update range is starting at the active cue - it will only update the active cue
eg. With cue 5 active in live. Type update fixture # cue 5 thru 10 update. Only cue 5 will have been updated

Robert: Now that I look at that post again - I think you missed that update cue range in live is not working.
Formerly Durisian (who died peacefully of digital old age)

bnortin

Post by bnortin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 am

Just checked and I think you're right. If I am sitting in cue 1 and I make a change and update cues 1 thru 5, it only updates cue 1. If I make the same change in cue 1 and update cues 2 thru 5 it updates cues 2 thru 5.
Bryan Nortin
Light Palette VL 10.8.8

PierTis

Post by PierTis » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi!
Just questions in theses Updt in Live
10.6.2 Qonly, x Goto Q on Rec, 0 Release Fix/Rec/Updt

I'm in Q5 in Live

if i Updt Q1/4 : i keep my modification in Live in Red(No Delta) : Ok
but if i Updt Q1 (only or track) : i"Assert Q5,Qlist" and i lost my modification in Live

i would like to keep in Live theses modifications in Red
Thanks

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:49 pm

Try do not HOLD DELTA LEVELS in Hardware Setup - Console. This may not work as I think for Update Asserts.