Moving Light Atts on Subs

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
bnortin
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Houston, TX

Moving Light Atts on Subs

Post by bnortin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 pm

I just did a concert this past weekend where we got to demo some Mac III's, and I had a couple issues with some attributes.

1. Gobo rotation: I was in a hurry so I recorded static gobo palettes, and to make them rotate I put the "Gobo Wheel 1 Rotate" & "Gobo Wheel 2 Rotate" atts on a sub at a fairly high rpm. It worked great, the sub allowed me to control the speed of rotation, but anytime I took out the sub the gobo snapped back to it's original position. Is there a way to make the gobo just stay in the position it's in when the subs gets to 0?

2. Position effects: I recorded some movement effects on subs by setting the effect, pressing shift+record, selecting a look and setting the atts to only position and effects. My Intellabeams & Cyberlights worked great, but the Mac III's seemed to only move around their home position. I've always assumed that the movement effects started from a recorded position (similar to dynamic shapes on the 500 series), but the Mac's did not do this. This is also the first time I've used a moving head unit on this console, so I could be wrong and just never noticed it with my moving mirrors.

3. Radio bumps: I played around with this for the first time. Loved the feature until I went to take everything out. I pressed the flashing active bump button and it stayed on. How do take out the radio bump button without selecting another one?

Thanks for the help guys!

- Bryan
Bryan Nortin
Electrician - Miller Outdoor Theatre - Houston, TX
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician #1619
Light Palette VL 10.8.8
Light Palette Live 10.8.8

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Moving Light Atts on Subs

Post by RobertBell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:51 pm

1 - The issue is, when you take out any rotation speed, it falls back to the static position recorded with the gobo. You want to record your gobos with rotation at 0 RPM so the sub takes it up from there. It was doing the 'right' thing.

2- You may be giving us a clue to a long standing (persistent) bug. We've been noticing that movement fxs are falling to default positions, but have not been able to reproduce it. Funny that it happens correctly on the mirrors. I'll ask the guys if it has anything to do with the type of fixture. I might suspect it was an misleading coincidence.

3 - SHIFT - BUMP is what you were looking for. FYI - on Momentaries, Shift Bump makes them Toggles. On Toggles, Shift Bump makes them momentary.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

bnortin
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Houston, TX

Re: Moving Light Atts on Subs

Post by bnortin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks Robert, this was very helpful.
Bryan Nortin
Electrician - Miller Outdoor Theatre - Houston, TX
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician #1619
Light Palette VL 10.8.8
Light Palette Live 10.8.8