Dialog Boxes

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
Lotos
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Burlington, Ontario, Canda

Dialog Boxes

Post by Lotos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:20 pm

I know, I know...

These have been included in each 'method' of using the console now, and can be accessed as I used to use the command line under Windows UI mode (Shift-Action Key)

But if it's this easy to include them, is it possible to include a toggle (default -> off) in the Hardware Setup's 'Console' page that allows the 'Windows UI' boxes to show up? (Maybe right under 'Show Cue List Controls')

If that makes sense... I realize I worded it rather poorly.

I'm a command line fan, don't get me wrong... But I'm also a child of the computer age... If I can have all my available options at my finger tips, and click on what I want, GREAT! (Especially 20 minutes after I just woke up.)
Alex Boxall | Venue Technician
Burlington Performing Arts Centre

gooze

Re: Dialog Boxes

Post by gooze » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:30 pm

You can set them to appear under setup if you choose the windowsui personality.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Gooze - check your interface. That option is gone now.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

gooze

Post by gooze » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:14 am

When? Why? There is a lot of people using that. Especially those new to the desk.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Using 10.6.1005 - I still have the Cue List controls ribbon between Cue List Directory and Cue List. I can turn it on and off from the Hardware Setup/Console Tab.

As for getting dialog boxes for Record, Update, Delete... I still can use SHIFT and the appropriate key.

Still waiting for Copy and Move to have command line version but I think the current system is much clearer than the "personality" choices. It certainly makes a support phone call simpler.

Taine

Lotos
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Burlington, Ontario, Canda

Post by Lotos » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:07 pm

TaineGilliam wrote:Using 10.6.1005 - I still have the Cue List controls ribbon between Cue List Directory and Cue List. I can turn it on and off from the Hardware Setup/Console Tab.

As for getting dialog boxes for Record, Update, Delete... I still can use SHIFT and the appropriate key.
I can still get them via the SHIFT key in any of the four 'personalities' yes.

But... And here's some serious 'opinion time' coming...

Palette is based on Marquee... IMHO the whole 'BIG DEAL' for me when I first got my hands of it, was that the Abstract Control Interface was 'removing the confusing'... Using percentages and degrees and colours, instead of DMX Values.

Now, I'm coming from a mostly Strand background... GSX, LBX, 500 Series. So I'm command line familiar, capable, whatever :D... I've actually got a fondness for it.
*BUT*
There are times (as I stated, 20 minutes after waking up is frequently one of them) when I would *love* to have all my options at my fingertips...
Pressing "Record" and having a dialog box show up and allowing me to go 'Ok, my current default cue time is 3, I'd prefer that this cue was a 5" and change that, for instance.
Otherwise, I press Record, and the process first thing in the morning is more like 'Crap, what's my default cue time?' *press S2 to get my Show Options* CRAP... Now it's trying to record to a Look Page... *backspace backspace backspace* (Or, if I'm *really* not thinking, I'll tap Release a few times, and lose my work) S2 -> Show Options -> S10 -> Cue List -> Check my default time, press Enter or Release to get out of the Show Options... And commence recording again...

I'm a child of the computer age... I understand the power and flexability of the command line... I use it frequently... But there are many many times when I'd simply rather have my options pop up and say 'Hi!' :mrgreen:
It's not that I'm new to the desk... It's just a personal preference... And it's not even 100% of the time :) Hence why I'd love to be able to turn their defaults on and off.
Alex Boxall | Venue Technician
Burlington Performing Arts Centre