Tracking Backup

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
PierTis

Tracking Backup

Post by PierTis » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:50 pm

10.4.2 Genius pro
salut,
We use a Backup,
and after LP principal falled down we have jumped on Look's backup for having the same configuration ...is it normal?
Synchro Backup actived is it normal to have on the Backup no possibility to make a Go,put a look or a Ch.? (or is-it a problem from our systeme?)
thanks

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Tracking Backup

Post by RobertBell » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:21 pm

When you launch a tracking backup session (on a system that has the same s/w version and at least as many authorized channels), it will copy of the show file from the main system (over the network - automatically). Each time you save on the main system, the file is transfered again.

If the main system fails, you have 5 seconds to cancel the backup from taking over.

If you press GO or move a sub on the backup while in backup mode (main still on-line) within a second, your movements will be undone as it re-sync's with the main system. There is no harm in touching the backup while main is on-line. Nothing is going out the back of the backup, so there is no damage done to the stage.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

PierTis

Post by PierTis » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:41 pm

thanks Robert,
we have been a problem after the main console break the synchro, the backup have not keeping sub from main console?is it a problem from the soft or our systeme please?

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:18 am

Subs on the backup should match the main. In the display menu - check off Virtual Subs. Then run the hardware subs on the main desk and see if the backup virtual subs update? They should. If you have h/w attached to the backup, the sub LEDs should be blinking as they are missmatched with reality.

Let us know what you see.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

IvanMunro
Primary Venue / Use: Professional Theatre
Where I Am: Head of the lighting department, Flemish opera

Post by IvanMunro » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:34 pm

by RobertBell on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:21 pm
If you press GO or move a sub on the backup while in backup mode (main still on-line) within a second, your movements will be undone as it re-sync's with the main system. There is no harm in touching the backup while main is on-line. Nothing is going out the back of the backup, so there is no damage done to the stage.
I hate to disagree but I must .....
We work on a Lpalette clasic in the box with rack palette next to it for backup and a LPalette VL1500 for programming in the stalls.
all of this on Shownet over Strand a node SN103.
... I was working on the LPaletteVL in the stalls the other day when somehow (I think somebody did this by accident) the back-up went in to enable outputs.
When both the main and the back up system have the outputs active you get quite an interesting lightshow, something like disco inferno, everything flashing.
This makes me wonder what happens when your main crashes and later starts up again (and if your not next to your back-up like us when programing),
you should get the same problem as you will have the main and back up active again and this untill you disable the outputs in the back-up.
I've also noticed that if you unplug the network from the main whenever you plug it back in everything on stage dips for a moment.
Does this mean you can not have the main crash / back up take over and go back to the main without noticing this on stage?

I have to say I'm rather dissapointed about this as a back up system from Strand.
We used to run the shows on 520/530 consoles and thenthe main and back would take over from each other but never conflict.
When a crash occured on the 520series and you had the back up tracking active you got away with it without noticing it on stage, even if you went back to the main console.
The 520's seemed to tell each other who is in charge, with the palette the operator has to tell the consoles.
Does it seem we took a step back in the back up story or am I missing something?
Ivan Munro

Head of lighting, Flemish Opera
Antwerp & Ghent, Belgium