Pallette VL 16 - New user

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
NickH

Pallette VL 16 - New user

Post by NickH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:18 am

Hello, we have recently upgraded at our theatre from a 400 series desk to a Pallette VL 16 desk.
Although we have just about learnt enough for our first show next week with the new desk there are a few initial questions that we'd appreciate some help with.

1. The desk was supplied with software version 10.4.8 but looking on the Strand website the only version that I can find available for download is 10.3.1. Several threads also mention version 10.4.2.
My question therefore is are these versions only shipped with new desks or are they available for download ?
Also if they aren't available from the Strand website are we actually using a beta version ?

2. The software manual available from the Strand website doesn't seem in sections to match the actual desk software.
i.e. we don't seem to have a tool bar with the red record button etc that is shown in the manual.
Is this a change to the software from 10.3 to 10.4 or do we have the wrong manual ?

3. On our previous desk we used to assign a submaster to our houselights with up and down times for automatic fading but although we can enter an up time on the screen as soon as we move the submaster the value disappears.
Is this now possible ?

I'm sure there will be more questions but thanks in advance for any initial help.

Nick
http://www.arttheatre.co.uk
Pallette VL 16
OS 10.4.12

amoyer

Re: Pallette VL 16 - New user

Post by amoyer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:49 am

NickH wrote:1. The desk was supplied with software version 10.4.8 but looking on the Strand website the only version that I can find available for download is 10.3.1. Several threads also mention version 10.4.2.
My question therefore is are these versions only shipped with new desks or are they available for download ?
Also if they aren't available from the Strand website are we actually using a beta version ?

2. The software manual available from the Strand website doesn't seem in sections to match the actual desk software.
i.e. we don't seem to have a tool bar with the red record button etc that is shown in the manual.
Is this a change to the software from 10.3 to 10.4 or do we have the wrong manual ?

3. On our previous desk we used to assign a submaster to our houselights with up and down times for automatic fading but although we can enter an up time on the screen as soon as we move the submaster the value disappears.
Is this now possible ?
1. Yes 10.4.8 is a beta version of the software. While 10.3.1 is the current "official" release available on the Strand website, the Palette VL16 desks need to run on at least 10.4.1. There is a newer version, 10.4.12 that is available through the beta section of this website, if you would like access to it, send an email to support@horizoncontrol.com to gain access.

2. There are a few things in the manual that needs some updating. What you mentioned though is achieved by changing the console personality to the Palette Windows UI personality. Select Hardware Setup (S3), then the Console tab (S12), and then you can change the personality if you wish to see what changes.

3. Currently it is not possible in any version of the Palette OS to assign fade times to submasters. Don't worry, you are not the first to ask about this functionality and it is on the list of things to be added. Although I have no idea how far down the list it is.
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

NickH

Post by NickH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Thanks Andrew
Pallette VL 16
OS 10.4.12

JohnGrimshaw
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:39 pm

amoyer wrote: 3. Currently it is not possible in any version of the Palette OS to assign fade times to submasters. Don't worry, you are not the first to ask about this functionality and it is on the list of things to be added. Although I have no idea how far down the list it is.
If it were me, there is a "work around" involving a dedicated House Light cue list, and using the Submaster to trigger macros - but that is a little complex to set up.

When you get a bit more confident in operation, take a look at the "Variables" page. Because you have a VL16, the "M" keys on your console are all macro keys. You could make M1 go to "Cue 2" of this special House Light cue list, and M7 go to Cue 1.

Depending on how much training you had with your console, this should be not too hard to work out.

Get your console supplier to show you how.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

NickH

Post by NickH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks John.

We've had no training so it'll be down to trial and error I think.
Pallette VL 16
OS 10.4.12

gooze

Post by gooze » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:56 am

I think training comes free with the desk. At least it should. At least the basic stuff.
The installation manual is a little bit out-dated but a good place to start. It will get you started and it will make you familiar with the basic concepts of the desk.
You can find it here
The good part starts at page 51!

There is a software update available for your desk (10.4.12)
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.