Stopping an Effect

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
jeroenhelsloot

Re: Stopping an Effect

Post by jeroenhelsloot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:10 am

RobertBell wrote:I suggest the people that don't like our S10-Effects package write effects exactly as they did in 500 land. That is:

Use another cue list and macro into and out of it.

You many not of thought that is what you were doing with the 500, but you were. :o
I'm one of those 300/500-residents..

So I'm running a chase from another cuelist by macroing into it. When I'm macroing out of it, it works, but only in a snap-mode. :cry: How do I fade out the effect in the same time as the cuetime? It's rather ugly to have an effect snap off while the rest of the rig is going in 10 sec..

And what if I want to have this chase running over a couple of units at 0%, then the next cue the same channels come up to 50%, BUT THE EFFECT IS STILL RUNNING AT FL? When the chase hits the channels at 50% it takes them up to FL, but then takes them all the way down to 0! :o I guess because the cuelist with the chase is telling them to go to 0, but that is not what I want.. Do I really need to make a whole new effect-cuelist en macro out of the first and at the same time macro into the next? And starts this effect then again at the first unit, instead of going on where the last chase left off?

Back in my old 500-land the effect would have no influence on the level the channels were set by any cue, so the first at 0,then the next cue the effect would go on, while the rig would come up to 50% and stayed on 50% during the effect..

The tip to make a different cuelist as an effect works, but only roughly.. I'm looking forward to any suggestions to make it more smooth..

Thanks, Jeroen

jeroenhelsloot

Post by jeroenhelsloot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:14 am

I've already found the second problem. I've put the cuelist on HTP and voila, problem solved..

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 am

jeroenhelsloot wrote:I've already found the second problem. I've put the cuelist on HTP and voila, problem solved..
Wonderful news - saved me a post.
jeroenhelsloot wrote:How do I fade out the effect in the same time as the cuetime? It's rather ugly to have an effect snap off while the rest of the rig is going in 10 sec..
Get the properties of the chase cue list and override its CUE LIST RELEASE TIME. Currently you likely have it set to 0 seconds.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

amoyer

Post by amoyer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 am

Okay, I've tried some of what was suggested with a slight modification to a few things but have run into a few problems.
I've attached a show file where I have created 2 cue lists that have 2 cues in each list; the first cue starts an FX and the second one releases the cue list. Both of these cue lists are set to HTP and Reset to Start on Release. The first cue list which is running a Square Wave Wrap FX starts up in the Cue Time but just disappears when the cue list is released in the second cue. The second cue list which is running a Flicker FX starts up in the Cue Time but when the cue list is released it fades out in the Cue Time. In neither case does the Cue List Release override have any effect on the release time.

Any idea what the problems are here?

Secondly, my plan is to run the cue lists in the one of the playback stacks on our Light Palette Live desk. Is there any way that the fader for that playback be used as a Grand Master?

Edit: Just went back and added a cue to the main cue list to check that the HTP actually worked and ran into another problem. Regardless of whether I start the cue with the FX first or second, the FX takes priority. BTW, all the cue lists are set to the same priority.
Edit2: BTW, version 10.4.2
Attachments
FX Cue Lists.spf
(34.65 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Andrew Moyer - Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Light Palette Live (v10.8.6)
Rack Palette (v10.8.6)
Classic Palette ii(v10.8.5)

PhilFoleen

Post by PhilFoleen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:07 am

MattKlasmeier wrote:
JohnGrimshaw wrote: My suggestion is that a "name" field is created for an effect, so it can be identified, and that a command needs to have the same name to work - and maybe multiple names separated by a comma - and maybe use "*" to control all running effects.
John,

I like that idea. It works with the cue list synchronization concept. I would love it even more if all I had to do is then insert the name into another cue and the effect could be triggered again. The one thing I would like to see all of the effects stored in a "bank" or group so it would make it easy to see the name and allow them to be worked on in blind.
I like Mat's idea. this sounds like a great function for the "Other" century panel key on the Palette VL. That is, if we could record effects like colors, positions, et al.
If you want to paint with light, you're going to need a Palette

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Treating effects as yet another attribute family is very cool in some ways - it allows easy recall and filtering... HOWEVER I see an even more flexible way to conceptualize this - Treat effects as yet another "layer" to a fixture attribute similar to independent timing. You would then have a levels display, a times display and an effect display. This too allows for a filtering when recording and recalling from cues or looks but handles the case of multiple effects of different attributes of the same fixture a bit cleaner . Still doesn't address what the screen for blind editing of effect should look like though.

Taine

GregBecker

Post by GregBecker » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:52 am

If we are talking about FX being able to be put the the attribute families, how different is that from FX on submasters and where is that in the current wish list?

RobertBell
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Post by RobertBell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 am

GregBecker wrote:If we are talking about FX being able to be put the the attribute families, how different is that from FX on submasters and where is that in the current wish list?
Not much. And to answer where it is on the list: "STILL at the top" - it just seems the list is forever growing. I've said it before, but want to reinforce the notion: WE HEAR YOU (honestly)
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

gooze

Post by gooze » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:53 pm

I have honestly tried to get rid of an existing effect in a cue.
Here is what I did.
Release the cuelist
Load the cue in wich the effect was started.
option a. Right click the effect with the mouse and select release
Update [Delta's] Enter
option b. Right click the effect with the mouse and select stop
Update [Delta's] Enter
option c. Moving the parameters that are in the effect, move them back, so the light is at the right position
Updata Enter

None of these options work. The effect is still in the cue. It also doesn't work with the cue live and the same three options. It also doesn't work if you do it this way, but press record and select replace.
The effect stays in the cue. The only working solution I have found is to delete the whole cue, build the cue from scratch without the effect and record it.
Can someone please try to explain the erasing of effects again, because I cannot do it.

I have spend two hours on this so it can't be laziness :(
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:45 pm

I think the problem is that there is no delta to update. Do the same thing (load the cue, stop the effect), but this time RECORD the cue and replace the existing.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd