Old features i miss

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
Phil

Old features i miss

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any way to Hold channels at a level, as the old school genius p did? We are often asked to hold house lights out while rehearsing independent of what is in the cue lists, or hold a rogue light out while it is reset.

While I'm reminiscing is there a way to make subs Independent like they used to be?

...and another thing .... could there be an option for blind to auto update as it used to?

Sorry to go on and on but is there any plans to make the data exported better and more readable in cue list / hard copy fashion. We recently had to export into another well known offline editor to get a semi decent printout of the show.

Cheers

Phil

RobertBell
Primary Venue / Use: Other
Where I Am: Horizon Control Inc

Re: Old features i miss

Post by RobertBell » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:21 pm

HOLD is on our short list. Still not sure if it will be called Park or Hold, but fuctionality will be there. Right now you can save to a HIGH PRIORITY (i.e. #1) Look and keep it up.

What is the difference between Inp. Subs and Exl. Subs?

Currently Blind does not update when you leave because we always need to know whether the changes track or not. Obsession would put the change (delta) using the cmd line to determine if the change tracked or not. We don't do that.

Data export is getting better and better. We're working with Rob Halliday on Focus Track compatability which will give much more detailed info. Are you using 10.3.x or 10.4.x? I think it may be better than you currently have.
Robert Bell - Product Manager - Horizon Control Inc.

gooze

Post by gooze » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:06 pm

The submastermodes for GeniusPro:
NORMAL (or PILEON}
Submaster intensities are combined with other level sources on a highest takes
precedence basis. Attributes are combined on a latest takes precedence basis.
Selecting a channel with the Channel Control ‘steals’ it from the submaster.
INDEP (Independent)
Submaster intensities are combined with other level sources on a highest takes
precedence basis. Submaster channels cannot be ‘stolen’ by the Channel
Control, but the Channel Control can increase the channel intensity above the
submaster level.
EXCLUSIVE
Submaster controls the channel intensities regardless of what other level sources
would influence the channels. If the same channels are used in two exclusive
submasters, the last submaster to move off zero ‘steals’ the channels.
INHIBIT (Inhibitive)
Submasters act like grandmaster faders for channels that have any intensity
channel recorded in the submaster. Attributes are ignored. Multiple inhibitive
submasters which control the same output channels are combined on a lowest
takes precedence basis.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:26 pm

We're using 10.4.1

Re the blind problem - surely the desk should update in whatever mode it is set in? Or use the S11 key at the end of the command line for the opposite?

Thanks for the speedy response 8-)

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:56 am

Phil wrote:the desk should update in whatever mode it is set in? Or use the S11 key at the end of the command line for the opposite?
Ah - there's the rub. If you just exit, there is no command line. Are you suggesting that if you exit without pressing UPDT (and specifiying Q-Only or not) that it just updates using the default mode?

Another reason we make you press UPDT is that you can:
  • Be in LIVE
  • Set some levels as requested by designer
  • Wait for him to say record
  • Wait
  • Watch him scrathc his beard
  • Think, screw him, I'm going into Blind to work on some other stuff
  • Fiddle around in Blind
  • Go back to Live to change something for him
  • Wait for him to say Rec
  • Go back to Blind to continue doing what you were doing (nice it's where you left it - stuff still captured et al)
  • Rinse and Repeat

RobHalliday

Post by RobHalliday » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:48 pm

.... but I could do all that on the 500! ;-)

Except that when I came out of blind into live, the change in blind were done, committed, saved, and I didn't have to worry about them. If I've gone into blind to start making changes, it's pretty likely that I actually want them to stick.

The worst case of what you describe is what you see on grandMA: go into blind, start making some changes, go back to live to serve the LD, end up doing two hours of work for him, go into blind for some other reason entirely and the desk starts nagging you about whether you want to store the work you'd been doing in blind earlier. By this point you have no memory of what you were doing, when you were doing it, why you were doing it etc.....to the point where I've suggested to them that unsaved blind stuff should 'fade away' over time.

Rob.

RobertBell

Post by RobertBell » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:28 pm

RobHalliday wrote:If I've gone into blind to start making changes, it's pretty likely that I actually want them to stick.
And on the off-chance you didn't want to keep them...?

JohnGrimshaw
Where I Am: International Man of Mystery

Post by JohnGrimshaw » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:22 pm

It does kinda depend on what you are using "blind" to do. Now that we can output blind DMX data to an emulator, chances are that you don't want changes to "stick".

While I understand exactly why the 500 approached this from the point of view the "if you are in blind, changes are applied automatically", this approach may not be so applicable these days.
...and for more entertainment industry trivia and useless facts, just ask:
John Grimshaw
Managing Director
Stage Fast Pty Ltd

Phil

Post by Phil » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:26 pm

I've got to agree with Rob H, if you are in blind you want the changes to stick automatically, that's why i went into blind. If you're making changes that you are unsure about then you're in the wrong job. Having to update in blind is annoying and unnecessary.
I'm not sure why anyone would want to output blind data to a emulator? I certainly don't care what blind looks like as a visual representation, and can't really see how it's a usefull feature when plotting.

While i remember on the topic of blind, we have RFU 3, while i'm in blind (updating alot) the remote onstage calls channels up in blind and not live? Again not a usefull feature.

Are there plans to have a sub option 'Independent' in the next software release? It's really usefull to us.

Cheers ;)

Kuni

Post by Kuni » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi there,

I´m also agree with @Phil and @RobH. If I in BLIND than I wan´t to change something and I must be sure that what I change will be stored if I go back to LIVE. If I don´t know what I doing in BLIND then I´m in the wrong job, sorry.

Yesterday I have a small training on EOS and there is a very nice feature: If you do some changes in BLIND it will be stored directly, because, that is what the trainer sayed: "You are in BLIND and you know what you are doing".

So, if we have the possibility to do that we can work a little faster.
.kuni.
............kuni................................
pimpedPalette VL16, Soft V10.8.5