Dimmer/Console communication problem

Questions on Palette and Light Palette operation and features
kkennel

Dimmer/Console communication problem

Post by kkennel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:06 am

Hello, I am working with a Strand Light Palette classic. I am having a problem in communicating to the C21 dimmers. What is happening is this:
I type in channel (whatever) at FL/85/55 (etc.) ENTER*
There is then about a ten to twelve second delay, the fixture will then illuminate for approx. 15 to 20 seconds. The fixture will then turn off for about 30 to 45 seconds. The fixture will then turn back on and the cycle continues. The time the fixture is on and off varies, however, it is always off for a longer amount of time than on.
Also, don't know if this matters, but the Network Connection LED on the dimmer rack flashes on and off in about 30 second intervals.
Any thoughts/answers will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Krystal

gooze

Re: Dimmer/Console communication problem

Post by gooze » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:15 am

If you press [S3 - Harware setup] [S12 -Console] you can choose USB DMX flavour. Maybe you should try to set that value to Strand SN110.
Otherwise try to see if there is any IP-adress conflict. Go to [S4 - Control panel] and hover over the network icon. You will see the desks IP-adress. The first bit should be the same as any other thing you want to connect to on the network. The last part (after the last dot) should be unique. (So eg. 192.168.1.xxx, where xxx is the unique part and the rest is the same for dimmers, console and backup) Also the gateway or subnetmask should be the same (255.255.255.0) as well as the router address.
Floriaan Ganzevoort - Lighting designer
THEATERMACHINE design. production. operations.

TaineGilliam

Post by TaineGilliam » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:21 am

I agree to check to IP address conflicts. Beyond that it would be helpful to know what other devices are present on the network. Is the DMX out of the console connected to the system? Is the network switch a smart/managed unit - we have seen cases of managed switches being too smart for their own good.

Taine

MattKlasmeier

Post by MattKlasmeier » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Is this system all network? Does the console connect to the racks with only a network cable?

Here are a few more things to check.
Cat 5 cables. Make sure they are locked in all the way and that they are in good shape.
Network terminations. Make sure that all the terminations are punched down correctly.
Verify that the run is not over 300'. If you have a 100' cable connected to the console and there is 275' in the wall you are now over the limit.
Try plugging the console into a different port and see if that clears up the problem.

If you know someone that has a Cat5 cable tester it maybe worth borrowing it and testing all of the critical links to ensure that it is not a wiring issue.

Let us know how it goes.

robhillig

Post by robhillig » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Is this the only source of control in the system (the console that is)?

Is it solely feeding network DMX or is it doubling up with Hard line DMX as well?

Where are you located and have you contacted an ASC about this issue?

kkennel

Post by kkennel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Hello all, thanks for your help. It was an IP address issue. I just started working with this network system of dimmers, so I have a lot to learn.
Thanks again.